• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton wheel tire combo to have best scrub radius/track width match with 16.00 tires.

Superthermal

What bead lock rims on a 5 ton will get a 16.00 tire to mount with near perfect scrub radius? Also it looks like some rims /hub flipping etc... cause a significant offset to the track width of the front and rear axle as shown below on a M54ish ride. What combination of wheels gets this accomplished? I want interchangeability for my tires and I have read chat about using one type on the front and another on the back is common. There are very significant bonuses to having the scrub radius perfect and having the track width the same is a total bonus on snow wheeling as well. HEMTT rims seem to be the primary choice of super single runners.. but is that the best option? Has anyone looked and documented the kingpin angle to the tire patch as seen below? Where does it land?
1640932323861.png1640932421403.png1640932443720.png

Attachments

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't geeked out about it for a long time but most trucks intentionally (engineered in) have a wider track width in the front to maintain proper Ackerman steering geometry. I've been told that it's best not to mess that up with custom offsets & such.

I'm not sure what nuances are involved with 6x6 trucks...

Superthermal

My choice is hemtt rims all the way around, and 16.00 AT3s.

The first picture is an M818 with 16.00 AT2s on the earlier hemtt rims.

The other pics are my M925, hemtt rims and AT3s
I was thinking that first pic was a M54 series only because the air box is on the left but then I remember reading your turbo setup and realized you have an air cleaner on both fenders... AWESOME job with the turbo BTW.
Do you find the track width is very similar? How close... a few inches or a half a foot? 1640974267131.png
This one above looks like it is 6"+ outset which I am not planning on.
Did you need to flip the hubs on the rear? How is the rubbing when you steer full lock etc... Is the track width on both the M54, M809 and M939 series the same? I like the set up on your first rig. Just to make sure all 6 wheel/tire combos are interchangeable? Thanks!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No rubbing, lock to lock.

No hub flip - hub flip is a deuce thing.

The front is wider than the rear. Not sure by exactly how much. I won't have an opportunity to measure as I'm in TX and my trucks are not. I'll see if I can find better pics that may show it.

Same wheels/tires all the way around.

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 854667Here is another example of very different track widths... I like that the rear tires are flush with the side of the bed but the fronts are way way out there.
Those are 5-ton Combat Wheels; that owner probably experienced a little tire rub when making turns so he reversed the front wheels. Those front wheels should NOT be mounted like that….flip them around and they’d tuck right into the fenderwells.

As 98G said, put some HEMTT wheels on the fronts and it should move the tire’s center farther away from steering linkage to avoid rubbing during turns.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember watching that truck when FTF Tech first offered it up for sale. They mentioned that mounting the front wheels like that made it over width for shipping so they would ship it with the wheels mounted as Silverstate55 suggested and then would arrange for a roadside tire service to reverse them again during delivery. A bit of a sales gimmick but if one really wanted that "mall crawler" look, they accommodated...

Superthermal

Anyone know where I can find the specs on the 5-ton axle width for F&R. To help with track width matching. I also cant seem to find any info specifically on the width or kingpin angle of the 5 ton front and width of the rear axles (wheel mounting surfaces). The only thing I can find says 79 1/2" from mounting face to mounting face on the axles.
Additionally I am interested in the kingpin angle measurement, #1 Below in pic, and the distance to the kingpin pivot center to the wheel mounting surface, #2 below in the pic. Once I have these I can figure out the optimum wheel or see how close our HEMTT wheel is to being optimum as I may end up needing to run this rim anyway. Thanks for any help.
1641094242677.png

Crf450x

Hemtt up front and 5 ton in the back is ideal imo. Hemtt wheels in the rear will make the rear narrower. I’d bet good money that any configuration you choose will be just fine as far as not messing anything up.

Superthermal

Can anyone identify this wheel for me? The pics of the model numbers are from the rear wheel and I need to know if it is the same as the front wheel that is pictured. I will need to buy two of these wheels at some point.

Attachments

Larry Weibert

Superthermal. The truck you have posted on post 1 looks like it has the rear hubs flipped on the 5 ton. I have a M 817 Dump with 16s on Hemtt rims. I have no issues. i plan on flipping my rear hubs when i do some brake work on mine this summer. I think they look nice with out the deep dish back wheels.

Attachments

Last edited:

Superthermal

The HEMTT wheels give the front axle about a 1ish to 2" wider track as far as I can tell. If it was much different I would start thinking of some kind of mod as track width match is helpful in mud and snow.
I am just crossing my fingers the excellent owners in the past put beadlocks inside of those meats so I don't have to buy a set the day I start tearing them off. ;) o e can only hope. By chance anyone know a way to look up yhe previous owners so I could ask?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks