• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50 A outlets on generator

bones1

Mep-003A. What type/brand outlet and location did you use to mount a 50A outlet on the generator.I would like to use a plug in cord arrangement to the house.
Any pics would be great.

bones1

That is perfect, thanks. Is that generator mounted in the back of a Deuce?. I was thinking about doing that before I got one on a trailer. Still thinking about it.

steelandcanvas

That is perfect, thanks. Is that generator mounted in the back of a Deuce?. I was thinking about doing that before I got one on a trailer. Still thinking about it.
No it's mounted in my M105A2. It was on a M116A3, but that looked pretty sad behind the Deuce. Let me know if you need part numbers for the plugs and outlet. You may not be able to find them at Blows or Home Dumpo, more likely a electric wholesale house.

bones1

Yeah, my deuce has MRAP wheels and tires on it and the little M116A3 trailer I have wouldn't even work height wise. Would look really dumb. Thanks for the help.

bones1

Part #s would be good if not too much trouble. Did you just run #6 wire from the gen bugs to the new plug? You are using 6/3 wire I see. I am using 6/4 so I may need different plugs anyway.

rustystud

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I recently added a 50a civilian outlet to a distribution box I have. I tied it into the breakers of the output lead. I'll try to take some pics of it tomorrow.

Isaac-1

Looks almost identical to my distribution box setup, except mine uses a pigtail to connect to output lugs, and the distribution box is not in a crash frame, (mine is a Coleman Extreme model 1970 which uses common straight blade outlets instead of the more common industrial twist locks). I also swapped out the L6-30 240V only 30 amp outlet for a 120/240V 30 amp L14-30 outlet (along with the appropriate neutral jumper) commonly used on many portable generators, inlet boxes, etc.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Part #s would be good if not too much trouble. Did you just run #6 wire from the gen bugs to the new plug? You are using 6/3 wire I see. I am using 6/4 so I may need different plugs anyway.
Very nice set-up you have there Steelandcanvas ! I would really like the manufacture and part number of that outlet on top of the generator. I have never seen one at any normal hardware store before.
Part #'s are as follows:

Plug-CS6365C
Inlet-CS6375C
Connector-CS6364C
Receptacle-CS6369C

This "CS" series is not cheap, but is what I chose for flexibility of wiring schemes. I believe the brand is Hubble. Your local electrical supply house is your best bet to find them in stock. Amazon and eBay had some fairly decent prices, so shop around.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the same connector style I used. I like them.

I used the Reliance LC550 series for the cord and the CS6369 recepticle.

steelandcanvas

I liked them when I worked construction, relatively bullet-proof casing and a very tight, secure connection. I had no idea so many of us preferred them...I must be in good company then. ;)

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did something similar.DSCN4494.jpgDSCN4483.jpgDSCN4484.jpgDSCN4491.jpgThere is a short 50 amp pig tail hard wired, that plugs into the distribution box, (all plugs are on breakers). Or it can be extended to go straight into the shop to power the house & shop, with load shedding. With the distribution box, I can plug into about anything, any where. It will probably be the neighbor, to keep him from freezing up @ -50. The tarp can be adjusted to keep it warm, so it will be easy to use, as its not convenient to do wiring at extreme temperatures.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The anderson ones in 50amp(sb50) are under $10 if anyone is looking for a cheaper option..
View attachment 597542
Are those good for high voltage? The reason I ask is because I've only seen them used on low voltage connections, usually on electric forklifts, jumper cables, winches, and such.

They also don't seem very secure as far as somebody sticking their finger into a unplugged end.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks