• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5KW gasser Genset MEP017A

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I just got a MEP017A. The battery is dead, but it does start and run in the EMERGENCY start mode with the rope. Starts on the first pull. When I switch it to NORMAL, it dies. Switch it back to EMERGENCY, it runs fine. According to the TM, you switch it to NORMAL, then hit the START switch.. I try this, but it just dies... Any thoughts?

Thanks!

mangus580

Cant remember, but I think you have to maybe hit the start switch first? There is a brand new battery on ebay for a decent price!

The reason behind the emergency mode, is to make sure it has oil pressure, and not too hot. It is also possible, that the charging system isnt working on it, and therefore doesnt have the electricity to hold the relay in. Do you have the battery hooked up to it still? Also possible the battery is so dead (shorted) that the charging system doesnt have enough left as well..

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just ordered the new battery. $75.00 shipped vs $150 at the Interstate dealer up the road. I think the new battery will fix the problem. The panel lights dont come on when it's in emergency mode, so I think there is this and other electrical items that dont work in emergency mode. The emergency mode is for "failure is not an option" and the generator will self destruct long after the safteys would of kicked in and shut it down when in normal mode. The TM doesnt give much info on that end of things.

mangus580

If the panel lights didnt light up, I would agree the battery and or charging circuit is messed up. Let us know how you make out.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the new battery. The panel lights now stay on, I can pull start it in emergency mode and flip it to normal and it keeps going. Now I need to find out why the starter wont work. The TM's arent helpful in that area. Also, the oil pressure guage is pinned at 60+ Will keep troubleshooting it as the week goes on.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE:

Got a used starter from Saturn, put it on today. Genset starts up quick, gauges read all within normal (except the oil pressure), I get 120V and 59 to 61 Hz. Battery bubbles a bit, but I think thats from it's first real charge since I filled with with battery juice. No backfires, no missing, no problems at all. I'll run if with a load tommorrow for a few hours. Only has 197 hours on it from rebuild in 1990. Only minor problem is that the oil guage shows steady at 60 while running. I disconnected the oil pressure wire, that makes the gauge peg out at beyond 60. I think their the sending unit is bad, or the sensor. When I shut the genset down, the gauge registers mid way then goes to zero as the engine dies down. Any thoughts on that one?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks