• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th wheel pin sizes

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard a lot, and did a bunch of online searching, and I'm still not sure how to determine pin size and what a plate will handle. I hear about 2 3/4", 3", and even 2 1/4". Is this the length? What about dia?
How do you know what a plate will handle? Is there a way to measure the throught, depth, width, etc.?

Thanks for any info that will make this confusion go away

M1075

I believe the two diameters are 2" (standard/commercial) and 3.5" (oversize/military). On military tractors, any all wheel drive tractor bigger than a 5 ton is 3.5". Everything else is 2".

Artisan

I am inclined to go w/ M 1075's input.

But;

Is there a bushing to bush a 2" up to a 3.5" ?

Can you link me to said someplace FS on the web ?

TIA!

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we measure dia, is that the dia of the thick part or where it hourglass's in?
And I've found that they're not all the same length. I saw one yesterday that was only 2" total length. It would not go deep enough into my plate to lock in. How much dif is there in length on mil and civy

quickfarms

There are two different size king pins.

2" and 3.5"

The 2" is for normal trailers and allows a GVW of 80K

The 3.5"'is for overweight or heavy haul.

The diameter refers to the small diameter.

The king pins need to be checked for wear periodically. There is a special wear gauge. The wear can not exceed 1/8" of the diameter.

There is a collar to convert a 2" king pin to 3.5" but it is not certified for use on the road.

You can convert most tractors with a 3.5" fifth wheel to 2" by changing the plate out.

Most heavy haul trailers can be ordered with a removable king pin to change the size.

There is also a short 2" king pin that is found on some recreational trailers. Additionally there are several other proprietary setup a that can be found on old trucks and trailers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks