• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5Ton level winder operation

Rkrug

I just got a level winder installed on my 923a1, just the top part not the tensioner since the winch I got it off of at the salvage yard did not have one. I tried using it tonight by spooling out the cable and then hooking it on to some small junk I had laying around and winching in but it just stayed on one side ( I had the lock disengaged).My question was what actually makes it wind back and forth, and will it just flat out not operate with out a tensioner installed?
Thanks for any help
RK

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You pretty much have to have the tensioner for it to work properly. Keeping tension on the cable is what makes the winder travel back and forth. It also holds the cable where stays it the center coming in which also makes the winder work.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subject to the weight/friction of your "small junk", the tensioner is not necessarily needed... The level wind should work with a load on the hook. The tensioner is there to apply a false load to the cable when rewinding the winch when no load is being pulled - ie., respooling after work is done.
See operators manual TM 9-2320-260-10 item 2-22 page 2-96 (for 809 series).

I would make sure that ALL the level wind bearings are 'free' and the trolley can move easily back and forth.

I modified my front level wind by adding a greasable fitting to the swivel. Check the verticle pin from under the trolley to see if there is a grease nipple or not.

Rkrug

All of the bearings turn freely and I put fresh grease in them and there is a grease fitting under the trolly. I just found a tensioner and ordered it, see if it will start working once I get it installed.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the going rate for a tensioner?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you install the tensioner, be sure to shim it if needed. Do not try tightening the bolts to close the gap at the ends. They usually have at least one shim/plate.

Rkrug

Do I leave the little hook things that curl around the bottom of the roller? I'm pretty sure they use the same mounting holes.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good information. But, you MUST have the tensioner for the level wind to operate. You do NOT apply tension to the rope with the tensioner when pulling a load, it is simply a means to keep the rope centered, without being centered the angles and ramp of the winder do not work. It does require a little tension, but only a couple of hundred pounds. The tensioner is for re-spooling the rope with no load, BUT, use as LITTLE tension as needed to make the rope properly lay on the drum. Excessive tension will make the rope unwind and that is really really bad. Never allow the winch line to rotate, in fact you should try and force additional twist into the rope when deployed. you must remove the end roll guides to install, and by all means shim the tensioner, do not just pull the end housings together. Once you get it going you will never want to use a winch without a winder again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks