• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton xfer case and air lines

MilitaryRestoration

I did a search, look at tm's and still have questions. On my 1972 m818 the transer case just went out. Would not stay in high range anymore. Kept throwing it out of gear, however low range still works fine. What would cause this?

Second, in the picture what exactly does the red line do and what exactly does the blue line do.

I also have the deuce air shift switch hooked up to my truck. The way I have it is so that when the switch is in the 'out' position is holds air going to the 'blue' line... So when I move lever to 'in' position is supplies air to that line...is this correct?

Attachments

Last edited:

jasonjc

NO the 5 ton case does not work like the deuce air shift case.
The 5 ton has the Sprag type case. It needs those air lines to shift the case between fwd and revs.

98hd

The popping out of high range is a fairly common failure for these cases. I just replaced the one in my 818 because of this. Not a real fun job, it is very heavy.

The air lines are for the sprauge. One for forward and one for reverse.

Both lines go to the poppet valve on the trans. The valve has an air input. If you want to run an air shift lever to turn the sprauge on and off, put the switch inline w/ the air input hose.

MilitaryRestoration

Both lines go to the poppet valve on the trans. The valve has an air input. If you want to run an air shift lever to turn the sprauge on and off, put the switch inline w/ the air input hose.
So which one is the air input hose?

Between looking at it, reading what others have said, and talking to someone on the phone I am all mixed up lol. Thanks for help so far!

jasonjc

The air in line is the one on the side of the trans that is not colored.
As for trunning the sprauge on and off , I don't think you can do that. It's like a ratchet wrench it's either fwd or rves. Thats how I under stand it. There is a sticky at the top of the 5 ton page that talks about the sprauge.

98hd

The supply line is the rubber line, the other two should be copper lines and both go to the transfer case.

Also, the 2 that go to the transfer case come out of the top of the valve. The other comes from an air source, and goes into the side.

There have been quite a few topics on here about turning off air to the sprauge, there was even an MWO for the trucks to do this.

jatonka

Falling out of high range is because the shift fork and shift collar are worn and don't engage the gears all the way any more. Memphis has the parts available and will tell you to replace the gear too as it has been wearing out for a while due to incomplete engagement. It is pretty costly to fix this. I have one apart at the shop and plan on rebuilding the fork and collar and putting it back together to see if the gear replacement is necessary or not.
I know there was an MWO on adding an air shut off switch to the 5 ton, and Memphis does it on about all of the 5 tons they sell, but as I examine the 5 ton sprag unit, I have a hard time seeing how the sprag would go to neutral without air to it. There is no neutral position in the sprag, just forward and reverse. I just don't see it. I think we need a true REB kit for the 5 ton sprag transfer case, just like in the old deuce cases. JT out

MilitaryRestoration

98hd - Thank you for all your help/time

well here is what i actually did... i did interrupt the pink line shown in the picture rather than the blue line like i thought i did. When we were driving it the other day without the front drive line on, and the transmission and transfer case covers out of the cab floor... i drove with my switch in the 'out' position (therefore no air going to it) and the flange on the transfer case (that would connect to front driveline) just barely turned so ever slowly. Then when I put the switch into 'in' i turned faster and faster with speed. So it is doing something. So I dunno lol... How much were the parts from memphis?

98hd

98hd - Thank you for all your help/time

well here is what i actually did... i did interrupt the pink line shown in the picture rather than the blue line like i thought i did. When we were driving it the other day without the front drive line on, and the transmission and transfer case covers out of the cab floor... i drove with my switch in the 'out' position (therefore no air going to it) and the flange on the transfer case (that would connect to front driveline) just barely turned so ever slowly. Then when I put the switch into 'in' i turned faster and faster with speed. So it is doing something. So I dunno lol... How much were the parts from memphis?
No problem.

I was able to get a good takeout for $400. I've seen places want $3,000 exchange for a t-case. The must think they are made of gold.

wbv

There were several T-138 Transfer cases at Warner Robbins that sold in the GL auction last week. Most of them looked brand new.

Anybody out pick some of these up?

I would be interested in one............

hemichallenger

I have a five ton transfer case that has these numbers on it the best i can tell 32892-n-170 and also wf208 1 or v not sure. It is in a 5 ton with a allison automatic mt654cr and i was wondering what other transfer cases will bolt in there. Any help would be great .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks