• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 ,and zinc additive????

Drock

The 6.2 debate was ah little too heated for this question so I thought I'd ask here :shock:. A few years back the motor oil companies (for whatever reason) stopped putting zinc in there oils. So anybody with an old muscle car with ah flat tappet cam now has to use zinc additives with every oil change. Does our 6.2's require the same additives? Or does the diesel specific oils already have it?

Skinny

An engine builder may have better insight on this but the 6.2 has roller lifters so that isn't really a concern. I'm sure if you buy an API rated oil that is above what the 6.2 calls for, you technically meet the requirements then.

Personally, feed it a decent 15/40 oil like Rotella or even Napa brand and it will be happy.

61sleepercab

I read that the zinc compound in motor oils was removed do to zinc compounds remaining in used motor oil. I was worried about air cooled VW engines. There are additives for engines with heavy valve springs, wild cams or flat tappets. Some oils still have zinc antiwear compounds such as Valvoline Racing oils in the red? bottle. Another EPA job saving us from some bad molecules , personally I do not cover flapjacks with old oil or soak in a bath tub full . Mark

Keith_J

ZDDP levels were reduced in S class oils (for spark ignited engines) and only in certain C class (compression ignition) oils, primarily the 5W40 API CJ4+. But old school 15W40 CJ is virtually unchanged in ZDDP level.

And yes, some of the C classes are dual rated for certain S classes so you could use them in your flat tappet gas engines.

Keith_J

The reason for ZDDP removal was due to the lifespan of the catalytic converter and exhaust gas oxygen sensors. ZDDP is an anti wear additive compound composed of zinc, sulfur and phosphorous. All of these elements poison catalysts and oxygen sensors.

forest522

He has a good point though...the 6.2 debate was a little much. Strange how people who have OD fever could obsess over something so silly. Just take care of it and it will last just fine. Not a race car, not a Mustang...its a military truck for pete's sake...