• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 Piston Rings: Sealed Power or Perfect Circle (Mahle) ?

Jake59

Hello all,

I have used Perfect Circle piston rings many years ago in the seventies, with my dad, when repairing our 1957 German built tractor with MWM Diesel engine.
I still have that tractor at home to this day and it starts like a charm and runs like a beast... built to last generations!

I also rebuilt my 1988 Chevy 2.8 V6 in the mid nineties and I used a Sealed Power piston ring set I seem to remember.
Also still have my S10 Blazer parked in the back yard and quite sure it will run provided I put a decent battery in it.

I have no preference for either brand, but I surely do not have sufficient experience with either to allow for a well informed decision.
Also, there is a considerable price difference between a Sealed Power at $210 and a Perfect Circle piston ring set at $150 for the 6.2diesel.

Is the Sealed Power piston ring set that much better to justify this big a price difference or is a set made by Perfect Circle, now owned by Mahle a worthy match for Sealed Power rings?

Or perhaps there is another brand of piston rings out there which I am not even aware off that is the better choice for the 6.2 diesel ?

Looking forward to your experience and advice...

Thank you,
Jake

GopherHill

The price difference may be the difference between chrome faced rings vs cast iron rings, I don't know. The chrome faced rings should have a longer life in hard service but are particular about bore preparation and break-in. I have had very good luck using cast iron rings for my engine rebuilds with regular oil changes and a good air filter. I would use the cheaper rings with careful assembly. The job would probably outlast you.
TomC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks