• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 to GEP 6.5 swap

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got my NOS power pack in. I'm stoked. It's time to pull the 6.2 and convert this 6.5 to NA then get it on the road. First thing first. Pull the tranny off and get it up on the engine stand. IMG_0755.jpgIMG_0764.jpgIMG_0756.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
How do you plan or doing the conversion? I know some drill out the bolt holes in regular intake manifolds and some swap out the heads.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a set of NOS N/A heads from 86hummvw so I won't be having to do any modding to the intake. I'm going to get flamed for not using the turbo but it comes down to costs. I've got a lot tied up in it already. The truck will spend 99% of the time unloaded and on back streets so i'm ok with less power. There is a 4l80e 4 speed on it now, but I'll be using the turbo 400 3 speed that is in the truck now. I'll also swap the vbelt parts from the 6.2 onto it. I'll turn the fuel rate down to keep the EGT's down with out a turbo.

orgnal

I got a set of NOS N/A heads from 86hummvw so I won't be having to do any modding to the intake. I'm going to get flamed for not using the turbo but it comes down to costs. I've got a lot tied up in it already. The truck will spend 99% of the time unloaded and on back streets so i'm ok with less power. There is a 4l80e 4 speed on it now, but I'll be using the turbo 400 3 speed that is in the truck now. I'll also swap the vbelt parts from the 6.2 onto it. I'll turn the fuel rate down to keep the EGT's down with out a turbo.
Almost feels like you have the setup I want and I have the setup you want. I have the 6.5L GEP NA with 3 speed. Have been longing for a 4 speed.

McReddy

Action

I think I will save you some money....if you put v-belts on that, you need to change the water pump. It turns the opposite way from the v to serpentine.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I will save you some money....if you put v-belts on that, you need to change the water pump. It turns the opposite way from the v to serpentine.
And the water pump backing plate.
Don't put that used WP from the 6.2 on there...get a new one.
Don't reuse your head bolts

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a new water pump from Rockauto a couple weeks ago. Along with new head bolts and .010 thicker head gaskets. The NA heads took a few dings in shipping right where the fire ring goes so I had to resurface them. I wanted to use studs but $200 for a set was a little over the top. I was planning on inspecting the backing plate on the 6.2 but if it's pitted too much I will find another one. I still have to make a turbo return block off plate and a plug for the crank position senser. Hopefully I will have it on the stand tomorrow.

jackson76550

What is your plan for the turbo feed and drain holes? I just added all the turbo stuff to mine, id be interested in the turbo parts, heads, trans etc if the price is right. Im just down the road in sealy

jackson76550

What is your plan for the turbo feed and drain holes? I just added all the turbo stuff to mine, id be interested in the turbo parts, heads, trans etc if the price is right. Im just down the road in sealy

Ok i read it, IMG_7887.jpg I can tell you this seals on an engine that was not machined for the turbo.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To each his own, but why you wouldn't just put the motor in as is puzzles me....other then a minor body cut, it will drop right in. i would also use the serpentine setup, it's easier to maintain and more options available.
seems you can find someone who would trade you straight across for exactly what you want....instead of hack up a good turbo setup, which I want to remind folks, aren't getting easier to find now that Southern metals is done with the contract.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To each his own, but why you wouldn't just put the motor in as is puzzles me....other then a minor body cut, it will drop right in. i would also use the serpentine setup, it's easier to maintain and more options available.
seems you can find someone who would trade you straight across for exactly what you want....instead of hack up a good turbo setup, which I want to remind folks, aren't getting easier to find now that Southern metals is done with the contract.
I agree 100%. Its probably going to be more of a pain switching it to NA as well. Everyone wants the 6.5 turbo set up with a 4 speed!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the tranny off and am about to get it up on the stand. I'll probablyIMG_0771.jpgIMG_0770.jpgIMG_0772.jpg post in the classifieds the stuff I won't be using. I was surprised to see all the balance drilling on the flexplate/flywheel. Hopefully it will be a smooth runner.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Man but I already have a new one from a older CUCV project that didn't get used. The 6.2 in there now has a cracked flywheel so I figured somebody has been doing "netural drops" with it. I've seen guys rev them up in netural then drop it into drive to try to spin the tires. It flattens the fins in the torque converter and cracks the flywheel.

Skrilex

Banned
This reminds me of a prank phone call to the pizza joint where you order a supreme, but hold the peppers, onions, sausage, oilives, and hold the cheese, sauce, and no dough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks