• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

65 m37 project

Drew65

Went to see why front wheels don’t want to spin . Turns out hummer rims don’t have enough clearance to clear tie rod ends so I was gonna put 1/4” wheel spacers on it to see if it would clear. Jacked the truck up and took wheel off . Big let down the hummer tires are like brand new still have the mold tabs on them and they are full of something they weigh about 400 lbs each and are hard as concrete ☹

deathrowdave

All I have ever used , once it sets up , it’s there for the duration . Expensive to have installed . That’s a damn shame , tires are new . My Buddy added some to his tractor fronts . He loaned it to friend that drove it 20 miles on hard top road . When he returned the tractor all that was remaining were the sidewalls and foam . That stuff is heavy heavy stuff . I have a 79 W200 Power Wagon , Cummins, Nv4500 , Np205 and Dana 60s with lockers . I never use it to play with just on the road and farm use . I would love to locate a nice M37 to swap my drive train into . My body is rusty as all are where I live .

deathrowdave

Wow , seems as the later axles fit nicely onto the early springs . Does the width seem to be correct ? What year was the W200 you are using for a donor ? What are you doing for power steering ? I’m going to have to follow this post . Near what I wanted to do . My truck has 3.54 gears , it gets 25 MPG all day long . If you need any parts for the W200 , I have parted out a few of these and have stashed some parts . Have you given any thinking about swapping the NP 203 to a NP 205 while you are tinkering ?

Drew65

Nice truck! I used rear springs and mounts from 79 w200 two bolt holes lined up with existing frame had to drill the rest . front springs had to outboard the mounts . I’m using the power steering of the donor it seems to work but I think tires over 33” will rub at full right lock with the stock 79 rims . I’ve seen on this site that they use a 76 dodge steering gear box seems like a better way should have researched more . I’m going to be using it as a daily driver type truck as far as 203 I may change later on my goal is to get it going and change items as needed. But so far I’m amazed how many parts from my 79 donor truck are fitting with little mods

deathrowdave

Early steering box is the answer , you will need frame mount and drag link , and good to go . I’ll be watching your posts , I’d like to do this to my old tank some day .

deathrowdave

Looks great , it should work fine , with other wheels . I’d like to fine a nicer M37 near , I’d be doing the same thing . My old truck has AC also . Probably easier to swap a cap . But they are getting tough to locate also . I have seen were the cab and bed from the M37 swapped onto to later frame looked fairly easy also .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks