• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

66' M35A2 in-cab heater/ coolant filter install

Recently just installed a heater in my deuce and put in a spin on filter for the coolant. First winter I'll have a heater in the truck and I'm excited to see how well it does. Also curious to see how well the coolant filter works and to see what it has filtered out once it needs a change.

Attachments

Modiconman

I'm not following your hose layout...it seems that the filter is in parallel with the heater core but still all of the flow goes through the filter....

I'm not following your hose layout...it seems that the filter is in parallel with the heater core but still all of the flow goes through the filter....

Yes I made it so that the flow goes through the filter and through the heater core during the winter and I have it set up so that the coolant flow can be shut off to the heater core with a ball valve during the summer and another valve opens up so it just bypasses the heater and just goes through the filter and back into the truck

Modiconman

Ahhh. I am having an issue with not enough heat, and I have the filter and heater core in series and folks here have suggested that the filter may be reducing the flow through the core........

tommys2patrick

Rolling Thunder 19--I assume you close both valves to remove the filter. But have you noticed any draining with your bypass line to the heater core/ filter when you remove the filter? seems like it would need a shutoff to prevent drain back from the water pump connection?

Modiconman

Rolling Thunder 19--I assume you close both valves to remove the filter. But have you noticed any draining with your bypass line to the heater core/ filter when you remove the filter? seems like it would need a shutoff to prevent drain back from the water pump connection?
I have not replaced the filter yet, as I only installed it a few "miles" ago, so I can't answer your question about the drain back.
I looked at your diagram. That's the way that I have mine installed, except i have a coolant filter too. I have it installed in series with the heater core. I am going to bypass the filter this weekend and see if the heater works. If so i will re-plumb my filter to a parallel configuration.

Attachments

At the top of the filter I actually have 3 valves. The 3rd valve can not be seen in the picture. 1 for heater core, 1 for heater bypass and 1 for the "IN" side for the filter. So I'm able to close all valves for no drain back when I change filters

Modiconman

I temporarily rerouted the hoses to bypass the coolant filter and the heater worked! I am now going to route the hoses so that the coolant filter is in parallel with the heater core.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks