• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6602 Engine Swap - How involved is it?

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Howdy.
My name is Tony and I have an addiction. Yes, I bought another project truck.

So it is a 1953 M328 Bridging truck with a 6602. The truck is 5 hours and 280 miles away on the other side of the state.

So I am seeking some info, advice, opinions from the other 6602 folks.

It had coolant in the rear cylinder, but the previous owner fixed it with Blue Devil Leak sealant and hasn't had milky oil since. Also it sputters and backfires due to a leaky intake manifold (cracks).

So I see a couple of near term choices.
1.) Fix.plug the intake leaks w/ JB weld or high temp adhesive.
2.) Try to find a crack free 6602 intake manifold (no luck on that one yet).
3.) Do a leak down test on the cylinders to see if there is still a leak on the #6 cylinder.
4.) Do an engine swap ( i found a low miles 6602) but, I don't know how involved it is. I have swapped Ford 370s in my school bus so I am not a total newb.

Other questions are:
A.) Does the dizzy have weight to advance the time as I have read post where owners think they don't.

B.) Any have a link to or the numbers for the proper TM's as the old site is still not up or searchable?

C.) For NAPA filters I found two numbers on the site which is correct the 1503 or the 1021?

D.) For spark plugs I found Autolite #2243 or Champion shielded plugs 13 mm x 3/8" reach, with gasket (no number). What is the cap supposed to be?

E.) I saw folks putting inline wix fuel filters, (I am going to have to see what #s Napa comes up with) Any suggestions on what micron size?

I do have the boom shown in the pictures below. I could mount it to the rear of my drop-side M813A1 and use it to install and remove the engines. I think I read the 6602 is about 2K pounds.

All 6602 advice accepted.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

Howdy.
My name is Tony and I have an addiction. Yes, I bought another project truck.

So it is a 1953 M328 Bridging truck with a 6602. The truck is 5 hours and 280 miles away on the other side of the state.

So I am seeking some info, advice, opinions from the other 6602 folks.

It had coolant in the rear cylinder, but the previous owner fixed it with Blue Devil Leak sealant and hasn't had milky oil since. Also it sputters and backfires due to a leaky intake manifold (cracks).

So I see a couple of near term choices.
1.) Fix.plug the intake leaks w/ JB weld or high temp adhesive.
2.) Try to find a crack free 6602 intake manifold (no luck on that one yet).
3.) Do a leak down test on the cylinders to see if there is still a leak on the #6 cylinder.
4.) Do an engine swap ( i found a low miles 6602) but, I don't know how involved it is. I have swapped Ford 370s in my school bus so I am not a total newb.

Other questions are:
A.) Does the dizzy have weight to advance the time as I have read post where owners think they don't.

B.) Any have a link to or the numbers for the proper TM's as the old site is still not up or searchable?

C.) For NAPA filters I found two numbers on the site which is correct the 1503 or the 1021?

D.) For spark plugs I found Autolite #2243 or Champion shielded plugs 13 mm x 3/8" reach, with gasket (no number). What is the cap supposed to be?

E.) I saw folks putting inline wix fuel filters, (I am going to have to see what #s Napa comes up with) Any suggestions on what micron size?

I do have the boom shown in the pictures below. I could mount it to the rear of my drop-side M813A1 and use it to install and remove the engines. I think I read the 6602 is about 2K pounds.

All 6602 advice accepted.
Good strong engine just very thirsty!!! Try Terry at White Owl for the intake manifold. 6602's are pretty easy to find as most guys will yank them and put another deisel engine in its place. I will try and look up the cap number and see what it would be. Parts are cheap comparted to the multi.

Does yours still have the Holly or the replacement Carter Carb????

m139h2otruck

We have an M139 based water truck (see avatar) with the gasser engine that runs OK. I have had a number of posts on this site about our problems and solutions as we built and fixed the truck. Look under our log in name for threads.

Be aware that the M139/M328 trucks are over width and if run without changes will require overwidth permits and markings. Again, see our old threads for what we had to do to correct this.

Email us through the site if you have any questions.

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Thanx m139h2otruck,
I will research your m328 threads.

I lucked out and have a new SS member living near me (scoutmanadam) who has a CDL A.
So we are pulling together a plan to have him pilot the ship back to the Tri-Cities on a oversize trip permit/signage.

The truck was singled out by Kevin the previous owner, now it is the bed that is the widest part at 119", still over the max legal width.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks