• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'67 Kaiser-Jeep M54A1 in the recent Vet's parade, Phoenix AZ

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the compliments, guys! It has logged some 30K basically trouble-free miles since I bought it in '93 after Desert Storm. This old Mack-powered rig has a great history, as all the unit markings under a LOT of paint were 1st armored, clear back thru 'Nam. Two rebuild tags; Sagami, Japan in '73 and Nurnburg, Germany in '85.

Here is the other side:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cdnvqg_az/detail?.dir=/7e95&.dnm=8d33.jpg

Note the cool IR light mod done for the Saudi conflict. Nightvision, anyone?

DG

ps...I added the rockhopper super singles and the rear toolboxes.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The official list:

'53 Mack M543A1 (M40 chassis) wrecker
'67 KJ M54A1 cargo
Unknown M52A2 tractor
'53 M37 Jimmy Diesel
'55 M37 widow
'52 M37 converted to yard crane
Unknown M35 "Memphis conversion" Reo with Allison 543.
M104 trailer
M105 "
several M generator trailers

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I thought so. Welcome Dennis! When I saw the pics of the 5 ton I was certain it was you! You confirmed it with the M37 with the 353 in it. Glad to have you aboard! Did you ever sell out all the blue lights? How about the way cool inverters?
Kenny

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, it has run a 3-53N Jimmy I bought new back in '73. A bit over 250K now, bunches O' miles in an M37 if you ask me.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The motor is the basic "N" series 3-banger, supercharged and making about 105 Hp at a little over 200 ft/lb torque. A regular Spicer 3053A from a multifuel duece, stock transfer, stock gearing, 42" Goat tires & wheels. It is a very tractable combination in an M37, as I have a bit over 250,000 miles on it now with little more than normal maintenance on the engine since 1975. I have run thru 1 transfer, several ring & pinion sets, and a few axle shafts and U-joints. 5 sets of brake shoes, and a pile of tires in that time. Max velocity is 68 mph, and it will cruise at 65 on the flat giving about 18 miles/gallon hwy.

I have power braking with the air-pak from a duece, with a full air system on board. It usually pulls a 105 trailer with brakes making that a lot safer than a 101.

An extra tank allows 80 gallons of Diesel on board, and it will always go at least 1,000 miles on that. I always wear earplugs when running on the highway, but it isn't any noisier than a 5-ton at full tilt.

As far as the conversion using a 6.2, I have no experience with that. I feel the 150 hp would be agreat thing, and it ought to fit OK. The biggest bugaboo with any repower of a G741 is the lack of real estate for engines of size.

dg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks