• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

7 new glow plugs

Onestar

I recently put up a post about having to go through the injector to remove several swollen glow plugs. I have hit a snag on the last one by the firewall on the passenger side and my HOA is all stirred up and making my life ****.

The question is

What are the chances on a fairly warm day of getting the M1009 started on 7 new glow plugs?

This way I can take it somewhere else to finish up. Then bring it back and the neighbors who constantly complain will have nothing because it will be a stock, inspected and registered, running vehicle.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rewire the GP relay to 12 volts, and it will be fine to start on 7 glow plugs.

idM1028

When I redid my glow plugs a couple months ago, I had all of 3 or 4 that were working. The truck would still start and run (although it does much better now that I replaced them) A diesel engine only needs air, fuel and heat to start and run. The glow plugs just help out in the "heat" department when starting. I personally would take Doghead's advice and don't sweat it.

jj

Well, do what Mr. Doghead said about re-wiring the plugs to 12v. Otherwise, you will cook off the rest of them in short order. But, in response to your original question, i have a 2002 6.5 that started on five working glow plugs through most of a south-central PA winter. I only needed the block heater on the single digit temperature days. That engine had 255,000 miles, give or take, on it that winter. You should light up OK on seven.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would someone please post the best link to rewiring the glowplugs from 24v to 12v? I've bypassed the control card as described in several posts but I can't find the "Wiring for Dummies" version of the voltage swap. Is there a post with instructions like the one for the DH relay change? Thanks.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if I understand correctly... Disconnect the wire at (1). Run a jumper from (5) to (1). Wrap 24v wire with tape to prevent disaster. Conversion complete?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is correct!

Remember, both the 5 and 1 have voltage all the time.

You can be careful and do it without disconnecting the batteries, or disconnect them for ultimate safety.

Use 8 ga wire or larger.

I took the more complete (and slightly more time consuming) route:

I removed the whole resistor (big ugly thing in Doghead's second post ), disconnected wires on each side of the resistor, and then disconnected the wire from the 24 volt buss on the passenger side (the white plastic cover with grey knobs). That was there was no cutting and taping involved.

I kept the wire connected to the GP relay at "#1" I cut the wire shorter and crimped on a bigger connector so I could connect it to "#5" The wire is a little stiff but it works just fine. And it kept the whole cost to a whopping $0.90 for the connector.

joediveguy

I took the more complete (and slightly more time consuming) route:

I removed the whole resistor (big ugly thing in Doghead's second post ), disconnected wires on each side of the resistor, and then disconnected the wire from the 24 volt buss on the passenger side (the white plastic cover with grey knobs). That was there was no cutting and taping involved.

I kept the wire connected to the GP relay at "#1" I cut the wire shorter and crimped on a bigger connector so I could connect it to "#5" The wire is a little stiff but it works just fine. And it kept the whole cost to a whopping $0.90 for the connector.
Pretty much what I did. I have one GP stuck but changed out the other 7. It starts and runs fine with 7.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks