• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

7-ton MTVR steering gear box leaking

Camoguy

So I just about had everything wrapped up on the truck and the gear box sprung a leak. Would you guys know why? Its not leaking from the seals. There is what appears to be a weep hole in the bottom of the gearbox. It comes out pretty fast when turning the wheel. I just want to be sure its not over pressure or something... I dont want to ruin a brand new gear box. Anyway let me hear your thoughts. Picture shows the hole the oil leaks from. There is a rubber grommet here on my parts truck.

Attachments

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I just about had everything wrapped up on the truck and the gear box sprung a leak. Would you guys know why? Its not leaking from the seals. There is what appears to be a weep hole in the bottom of the gearbox. It comes out pretty fast when turning the wheel. I just want to be sure its not over pressure or something... I dont want to ruin a brand new gear box. Anyway let me hear your thoughts. Picture shows the hole the oil leaks from. There is a rubber grommet here on my parts truck.
Not the same failure but I just got mine home a year after buying. Actually drove it out in CA for 50 mi or so. No leaks. Hauled back to MA and somewhere along the way the sector shaft output seal failed. Fluid just pours out of the top. No mileage on it. Just time.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not the same failure but I just got mine home a year after buying. Actually drove it out in CA for 50 mi or so. No leaks. Hauled back to MA and somewhere along the way the sector shaft output seal failed. Fluid just pours out of the top. No mileage on it. Just time.
Any chance that there is a rebuild kit for that box?

The situation with what I am working on is that turning the wheel causes nothing for a few seconds and then the truck turns.
That monster steering box barfs fluid and bad words are said...

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chance that there is a rebuild kit for that box?

The situation with what I am working on is that turning the wheel causes nothing for a few seconds and then the truck turns.
That monster steering box barfs fluid and bad words are said...
Just sent you pm.

Camoguy

Any suggestions on how to to get the steering arm free of the gear box? I’m sure someone out there has done this.

Camoguy

Google Sheppard pitman arm puller. Also -Sheppard has good disassembly videos online.
Have you used the puller? It’s hard to tell if it’s big enough for the pitman arm on the 7 ton. The ones they picture the tool being used on appear to be big but still smaller. That tool is a couple hundred bucks. It would be nice to know if someone has used it before I order it. I broke 3 gear pullers today. That thing is in there...

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you used the puller? It’s hard to tell if it’s big enough for the pitman arm on the 7 ton. The ones they picture the tool being used on appear to be big but still smaller. That tool is a couple hundred bucks. It would be nice to know if someone has used it before I order it. I broke 3 gear pullers today. That thing is in there...
I’ll need to pull mine. It seems like whole steering assembly bracket with both boxes needs to be dropped? I’m planning on putting forklift with extensions underneath to get it out, remove arm and unbolt box. I’ve only tested one of the 8 bolts holding on the bracket. 4 foot breaker bar with 6 foot pipe started bending breaker bar. Likely needs heat. Or am I wrong and pitman arm will work it’s way through sector shaft hole in the steering box mount bracket and only box needs unbolting.

Camoguy

I’ll need to pull mine. It seems like whole steering assembly bracket with both boxes needs to be dropped? I’m planning on putting forklift with extensions underneath to get it out, remove arm and unbolt box. I’ve only tested one of the 8 bolts holding on the bracket. 4 foot breaker bar with 6 foot pipe started bending breaker bar. Likely needs heat. Or am I wrong and pitman arm will work it’s way through sector shaft hole in the steering box mount bracket and only box needs unbolting.
I found a solution. I found new replacement pitman arms. I’m just going to cut the old ones off. They are $50 versus $300 for the tool to remove the old one. https://dpequip.net/shop/military-v...-oshkosh-3310447-3000107-rh-sheppard-2591674/

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got mine out. Seals in. Shaft cleaned up and back in. Big job. Learned a few things which others might find helpful. There are several boxes out there being sold as for MTVR which are not. First clue is overall length and missing 2 additional bolt mounts on top of box. There are the “ring of bolts” around sector shaft and then 2 others. Other is this is basically a Sheppard M100 box. Plenty of sector shafts out there for M100 but all about 0.8” too short at spline end. Fit fine otherwise. Don’t ask…. Talked with Sheppard and they had no clue of any of these longer shafts being out there.
Problem with mine was these boxes are mounted facing upwards. Water apparently collects and trashes shaft. Shaft eats seal and fluid comes out. Just waiting for the slave box to duplicate the master failure.

Camoguy

I finally got mine out. Seals in. Shaft cleaned up and back in. Big job. Learned a few things which others might find helpful. There are several boxes out there being sold as for MTVR which are not. First clue is overall length and missing 2 additional bolt mounts on top of box. There are the “ring of bolts” around sector shaft and then 2 others. Other is this is basically a Sheppard M100 box. Plenty of sector shafts out there for M100 but all about 0.8” too short at spline end. Fit fine otherwise. Don’t ask…. Talked with Sheppard and they had no clue of any of these longer shafts being out there.
Problem with mine was these boxes are mounted facing upwards. Water apparently collects and trashes shaft. Shaft eats seal and fluid comes out. Just waiting for the slave box to duplicate the master failure.
Your dead right about the boxes Bieng sold as an MTVR box. SOB on EBay sold me one claiming to be exact match. I also have learned that Gov planet May auction spare parts using the part numbers on the sticker on the packaging but that may not be what’s in the box or bag.

TacMac2012

Yea I have seen those boxes on ebay, they definitely don't look the same as they don't have the 90 degree input, plus, the slave doesn't have an input at all and those do. I wonder if those boxes on ebay are for the REAR steering on a MTVR tractor truck?

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I have seen those boxes on ebay, they definitely don't look the same as they don't have the 90 degree input, plus, the slave doesn't have an input at all and those do. I wonder if those boxes on ebay are for the REAR steering on a MTVR tractor truck?
Was thinking maybe mrap vehicles? I called and spoke with Chris at OES. He said he’d sold them to others for MTVR. Maybe he was mistaken. I think someone posted them as “MTVR”, others saw this and had those boxes and just followed.

zmpm01

When you pulled the steering box did you happen to take any pictures? Now my steering box is starting to leak pretty bad and I need to pull it, Did you just drop the box out or did you pull the bracket down with both boxes mounted to it? Thanks for the info. Mike

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you pulled the steering box did you happen to take any pictures? Now my steering box is starting to leak pretty bad and I need to pull it, Did you just drop the box out or did you pull the bracket down with both boxes mounted to it? Thanks for the info. Mike
Hi Mike

I’ll check if I’ve got pictures. Been a little while. Had to drop whole assembly. PM me your cell and I’d be happy to talk to you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks