• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700 mi. What do you guys think?

infidel got me

My buddy wants to drive a 1993 m 998 from central Florida to middle Tennessee pulling a 2800 lb. trailer. The Humvee is mechanically sound, I just think that is quite a road trip with no support. My buddy is not very good around a wrench either. I'm trying to talk him out of the trip as I see me heading north to rescue him....... What do you guys think? He said he is in no rush so if it takes him 3 days he is ok with that. Roughly 700 milesaua

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck is mechanically sound I sure don't see why he wouldn't do it. You could have a brand new truck on a road trip break down, just never know what will happen. I drive my old 1970 Chevy truck on long drives and never doubt that it will make it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its not like theres a website that is available 24/7 with members that could offer help if something happened anywhere in the United States...

IF ONLY SUCH A SITE EXISTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If all fluids good, batteries good and charging system good....check all your half shaft bolts at brake rotors.
Drive 55 -60 max.
AAA like Blk Hmmwv said.
A good cell phone.
If staying in motel....Back up to pole and chain it there, shifter left in gear, dash cable locked around str. wheel.
Take the start lever with you when away from truck.
Lots a cash for Diesel.....don't let it get below 1/4 tank.....they don't read properly if related parts were never changed.

3000gt

If all fluids good, batteries good and charging system good....check all your half shaft bolts at brake rotors.
Drive 55 -60 max.
AAA like Blk Hmmwv said.
A good cell phone.
If staying in motel....Back up to pole and chain it there, shifter left in gear, dash cable locked around str. wheel.
Take the start lever with you when away from truck.
Lots a cash for Diesel.....don't let it get below 1/4 tank.....they don't read properly if related parts were never changed.
Sounds like u done this before lol

infidel got me

Thanks for all the replies. Good advise taken from all. I'm still leaning on trailering it but he wants to drive it up so......... He's leaving next Friday, so I will let you know of his progress.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a recently sold "off road" use humvee?

Is he making this trip off road the whole 700 miles?

springbok

At 50 I would trailer it, I am lazier as I get older.
I would suggest that he stop about every 100 miles and get out to look for any issues.. If something is going south it may be easier to fix before there is a total failure.
If nothing else it will be an adventure.

avlon01

If everything has been gone through - why not?

I have driven mine 1K miles round trip before. It took forever at 55 mph, but it was fine. I had no issues.

I added a towing option to my insurance just in case. :p

infidel got me

I am trying believe me! He is towing a s-250 shelter that we mounted on a generator trailer. Top speed will be 50mph at best. Did I mention that he only has the 2 front soft doors (it was changed over to a 4 man set up) no rear doors or back flap (canvass) Temps. are dropping day by day and with the bic lighter equivalent heater I'd say its going to be a horrible trip.

Katavic918

I drove an 88 s10 with 250k on a knocking 4 banger, loaded with my dirt bike and a ton of gear about 400 miles from Maryland to Kentucky by my self once. So yeah...why not.

Katavic918

I am trying believe me! He is towing a s-250 shelter that we mounted on a generator trailer. Top speed will be 50mph at best. Did I mention that he only has the 2 front soft doors (it was changed over to a 4 man set up) no rear doors or back flap (canvass) Temps. are dropping day by day and with the bic lighter equivalent heater I'd say its going to be a horrible trip.
But a memorable one for sure.

ari

I took mine abt 150 miles on a fishing trip with no doors, on the way back at night it was below 40 bout froze to death but there where no issues with the truck. I say go for it.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reminds me of driving a High back in WI in winter with a load of M2s in the back. The flap between the cab and cargo wasn't secured and was blowing cold air down my back the entire multi-hour trip. all I had was my fleece and normal BDUs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks