• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'71 M35A2 air compressor lubrication

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE:

With engine oil-there are oil galleys on the compressor and the engine and pressurized oil from the pump is sent to the compressor and out of it back to the sump.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE:

:idea:

...and on behalf of a not-so-new deuce owner, I thank you acetomatoco and clinto, for shedding light on something I too, have wanted to know.

It just makes me appreciate the design of the truck that much more.

Amazing creation, the deuce!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE:

Almost all big truck engines with compressors use a similar lubrication system. I one bought one cheap made a base plate with fill hole and used it as an engine driven compressor. Worked great.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regretably you will not get an response to your question As Armyman was killed in action.

His dad is on here carrying on the tradition.

Still thinking of you.....................

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

February 12th, 2010.

Popdown:

Regrettably both Acetomatoco and Armyman30Plus have left the stage, both were regretted in their passing, as they were fountains of information and decent gentlemen. I suspect from your original post that you are dealing with a 1971 M35A2, perhaps like my "Saddam's Nightmare" in my icon. The Air compressor will be covered on the -20 ,-30 and 34P manuals downloadable from here (see "Resources" above). They rarely give problems, but now and then they will croak or malfunction. Replacement compressors should be available from White Owl Parts, Memphis Equipment Co, and others, either NOS or used. Some earlier G742 deuces (M35 series) used a two cylinder air compressor, versus the one cylinders usually seen on most of our trucks. As you have not included your residence or location in your OP, I cannot point you to any resources in your area.....:?:

If you are in an area subject to -32*F weather, like most of use have had this week, you may want to contact Ranchhopper on here and see if he has an air brake compressor alcohol evaporator kit in stock, as these trucks need to have alcohol fed to the air brake compressors to keep the system from icing up in below freezing conditions. You won't lose you hydraulic brakes if the air brake system freezes up, just your power assist on the brakes, steering (if you have it) horn and windshield wipers, all of which makes life easier if they work.....

Look up the -10,-20,-30 and 34P manuals above, they'll be your best friends if you have an M35 truck.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

N.B: I recoomend reading the -10 manual on the M35A2 ASAP, as it will make driving the truck much safer for you and others around you. Cheers,KFM.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I believe what David did was make a plate to go on the bottom of a deuce air compressor and add an oil fill port so it could be used as a "splash lubed" compressor. I have not seen his version, but seen many others do it that way.

bart6453

I know I will get flamed here...but I am looking at buying a Deuce.

Where the heck can I find the manuals you suggest???

I can't find them in search anywhere!

thanks.

deuce808

compressor lubrication

so the compressor is lube'd by engine oil.. the line going to the pump isnt spirting out oil when its disconnected.. does anyone know where the oil is pumped from spedcifically.. i now i have engine oil pressure and since i lost my last compressor apparently due to lack of oil flow i want to check everything and be sure i dont lose another.... i was expecting oild to exit that pipe after the engine acheived pressure but no luck..

Clay James

The oil is pumped from the oil pump[thumbzup] The only line exiting the pump has to do with air, although oil usually finds its way to the air tanks. Was anything plugged preventing oil from getting there?

Last edited:

baxter

On the subject of the compressor, i have one that suddenly stopped working. The clutch no longer engages any suggestions where to look for the problem would be great.

Vaughn

Woodsplinter

The air compressor on my '83 A2 deuce just started squealing loudly. It's not the belt but it sounds similar only 100 times louder.
No visible damage anywhere, everything else is working fine. It is an older 2 cyl compressor.
I know this is an older thread but thought it would be a good place to start.
Any ideas? Sound fixable or replace it?
Thanks!
Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks