• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803 not generating

funky winkerbean

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 803 has only 36 hrs on it and today while running with power out it started running weird and not generating. The engine was running (badly) and the generator barely turning. I shut it off and when I crank it only the generator turns. What came disconnected between engine and generator? Thanks. Jim.

bobs461

Sounds like the front half of your crankshaft snapped. The rear half is spinning the generator through the starter/ring gear...Ouch!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bobs461

What about whatever bolts secure flywheel to crank?
Yes, that's true. If the flywheel bolts got sheared off (or fell out), the flywheel will spin the generator, and the engine won't spin. Hopefully, that's your only issue

bobs461

Pull the starter and see if you can diagnose the problem. Keep us posted

fosgittr

Unfortunately, those bolts shearing off is usually the result of something else bad happening. I have seen both an 802 and and 803 now where a connecting rod end came off and caused the engine to seize, resulting in those bolts shearing off due to the massive force from the sudden stop. You may want to take a socket wrench and see if you can turn the engine using the main pulley bolt. If you feel solid resistance, there is something wrong in your crankcase.

funky winkerbean

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well- I finally got some time to tear it apart and found all 5 flywheel bolts sheared off. The engine was still running so the crankshaft wore the flywheel alignment step so it won’t center perfectly on crank. Gonna need a new flywheel. Anyone know where I might find one?

Ray70

A new flywheel isn't gonna be cheap unless you can find someone parting out a machine.
Here's a new one but it's almost $300... which is still better than the $1000 GM Generators wants!
There are others available, but more expensive.
Just google 186-6467 and a handful will come up.

Chainbreaker

But...what caused all 5 flywheel bolts to shear? Have you pulled the oil pan off yet to examine the lower end of engine? It might take some additional parts beyond just the flywheel. Might want to hold off on ordering a flywheel until you know status of engine.

You did mention that your engine was running badly after you lost AC out of generator. Wondering if you were running on 3 cylinders...?

Last edited:

funky winkerbean

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it was running but poorly. I was assuming with the flywheel not turning it had no balance or counterweight to keep it smooth. Although something else could be going on? And I am concerned about WHY the bolts broke. We’re they never torqued properly? Or did something else in engine cause that. Although I work on diesel trucks for a living and never seen flywheel bolts break regardless of the catastrophic event that took place.

funky winkerbean

Steel Soldiers Supporter
170-4287. I didn’t see any pictures on the ones that I looked up with that other part #. Just wanted to make sure I was ordering the right one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks