• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few "Auto start" Questions MEP-003A

Hi All. I have located and will be going to get tomorrow a MEP-003A.

Questions for you:

A) Has anyone used this: Inova MEP "Auto Start Kit" does it work? Is it safe and will it in anyway harm the unit?

B) If I set up and run the unit and adjust the voltage and MHZ then shut it down and set the auto start system to do it's thing and forget about it for a few months until we have a power outage, let the unit auto start and run will that hurt the system any?

C) Does the Inova system somehow allow a delay for the gen to warm up before it switches the unit online? If not, will that hurt the gen?

D) Assuming set up as in #B above, will the voltage an MHZ still be adjusted correctly or is that something I need to do every time I start and use the system? (Do I need to check on it every so often while using it/if so, about how often?)

E) Does anyone know if Inova is still in business and making these auto start units? The website looks current but you never know.

F) Is there a better way to auto start the unit?

NOTE: I do plan to run some wires from the unit into the house and build/install a remote panel with voltage, MHZ, oil pressure and temp gauges. I assume that if I get repair/replacement parts made for the MEP (for the oil pressure and temp) that I can just tap into the back of the current gauges, run long wires into the house and attach to my new inside temp/pressure gauges? I'll simply plug into the wall for the voltage and MHZ readings, (Leaving the factory panel gauges also working).

ANY and ALL suggestions about doing this will be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Scoobyshep

A. Personally no, but I am sure others have. Me personally I have an allen bradley PLC autostarting a 004.
B. Once the throttle is set it should retain that setting and be close enough to work ( minor adjustments may be needed) On my 003 i have a battery kill switch to save the battery during non use so you may want to set that up. (also proper unit is HZ not MHz really you can measure in MHz but it would be running at .00006 MHz vs 60 Hz).
C.Not sure if thats a a feature if the Inova system. I doubt is as the 003 has a manual circuit breaker so a delay of going online would have to happen at the transfer switch. as for hurting the generator I think youll be fine going straight to load.
D. They dont drift too badly so I would check it as needed maybe a few times a day
E. I think they are and I think hes a member here
F. I used a PLC because they are very customizable, But you need some skills to do a setup like this.

The oil gauge is mechanical so easy to tap and add a sender. Temp is just a thermocouple so also easy to add one

Central FL huh, Just north of Orlando myself

Guyfang

Staff member
Hi All. I have located and will be going to get tomorrow a MEP-003A.

Questions for you:

A) Has anyone used this: Inova MEP "Auto Start Kit" does it work? Is it safe and will it in anyway harm the unit?

B) If I set up and run the unit and adjust the voltage and MHZ then shut it down and set the auto start system to do it's thing and forget about it for a few months until we have a power outage, let the unit auto start and run will that hurt the system any?

No. If it would hurt the set, why would people use it?

C) Does the Inova system somehow allow a delay for the gen to warm up before it switches the unit online? If not, will that hurt the gen?

There is no delay needed. There is no warm up needed. There is no such thing as "idle" for military gen sets. AND, as Scooby mentioned, the CB1, AC output contactor, is not automaticly opened or closed. It is hand operated.

D) Assuming set up as in #B above, will the voltage an MHZ still be adjusted correctly or is that something I need to do every time I start and use the system? (Do I need to check on it every so often while using it/if so, about how often?)

Normally, when the hertz is set at 61-62 no load, it should be about 59-60 at load. So an auto start will get you that far. Stop worrying about it.

Yes, you should check it, IF you can. There may be reasons you can not check it. But checking the running gen set every so often is a good idea. In the military, we did 6 or 8 hour checks. The set is designed to run run for long time periods, without someone sitting in a chair, in front of it. But letting it run for days on end with no TLC is not recommended.

E) Does anyone know if Inova is still in business and making these auto start units? The website looks current but you never know.

You didn't look?

F) Is there a better way to auto start the unit?

What do you mean by better? There are a number of auto start set ups. look in the for sale Forum here in SS.

NOTE: I do plan to run some wires from the unit into the house and build/install a remote panel with voltage, MHZ, oil pressure and temp gauges. I assume that if I get repair/replacement parts made for the MEP (for the oil pressure and temp) that I can just tap into the back of the current gauges, run long wires into the house and attach to my new inside temp/pressure gauges? I'll simply plug into the wall for the voltage and MHZ readings, (Leaving the factory panel gauges also working).

That's possible, yes. There are auto start options that allow you to use your Cell Phone to monitor these functions.

ANY and ALL suggestions about doing this will be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance!!
Open to see all answers.

mtfleming

I bought an auto start unit for my MEP-002a from Green Mountain Generators and am very pleased with it. I start it from inside the house and after it has warmed up for one minute I flip a breaker to connect it to the load. When I’m done with the generator I flip the auto start switch and the breaker off. The auto start let’s the generator run two minutes longer with no load as a cool down period.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't want autostart with my MEP003A. I wanted to keep it simple. The more complicated, the more chances for malfunction. I have a 400 amp Square D transfer switch that I throw after I start the generator. My MEP003A is set up to run the entire house. I have never warmed the generator up prior to load and have never had an issue. As the engine warms up I have to fine tune the frequency within the first few minutes to get it to stay on 60 Hz, but it stays reasonably close for many hours afterwards. I never have to adjust the voltage.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some folks love these solutions. Some folks NEED these solutions (health concerns, etc). I'll never adopt them for my personal use, but its great that companies (and individuals) have stepped up to offer solutions to those who want them.

jamawieb

I've had the Invoa auto start for the past 6 years on my 002a and love it. Yes it does have a warm up and shut down cycle before applying loads. You can download the manual for free from their website. Peter who owns the company is very helpful and full of knowledge. Your link is for the controller, you will also need the auto start board. I use a remote start system and have to move a interlock switch on my panel to apply load from the generator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks