• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 Tire Change Procedure

Rustygears

A few months ago I downloaded an attachment to a thread called 'A3 Tire Change Procedure' This weekend I finally got to put it into practice. The document described step by step how to get an A3 tire off the rim and install a new tire on a rim.

I started out on my own without re-reading the document that I had stored away. After wrestling with swapping the rotted steer tire for the spare so I could replace the steer tire rubber, I spent the better part of the afternoon wrestling with getting the million studs holding the top piece off. Reading the document and applying antiseize would have sure made things easier. I then struggled getting the top plate off for the rest of the afternoon (or what was left). Last night I read the document, learned the tricks and head down this morning to Harbor Freight for a cheap engine hoist.

Once assembled, I had the rim off the tire in 15 minutes without breaking a sweat. Best of all, I could do it all myself. Next weekend I should be able to mount the new tire using the technique in the document in no time at all.

I used the forum search tools to find the post to thank the individual for their well written step-by-step instructions that were so easy to follow. I would have never thought to use an engine hoist in the manner described and it was ingenious! Alas, I couldn't find the original post. If anyone has a link to it, please put it up. There's alot of new A3 folks of recent and all of them will be replacing those rotten, cracked and damaged Michelin Super Singles pretty quickly as they run flat and/or blow out.

If nobody has a link posted in a few days, I'll post the original document. I sure wish I could give credit where credit is due.

3dAngus

I need it to. Go ahead and post it please, and just give the credit to an anonymous SSer when posting. You'll do us all a favor.

Rustygears

The A3 Tire Rosetta Stone

Here's the magic document. Kneel and bow your heads :p

There is great truth here. I did it wrong, struggled and then saw the light and did it right.

I'm up to step #11. Next weekend is the tire mount. I'll follow the document from the start this time. Based upon what I've seen so far, it makes perfect sense and should be straightforward.

Thanks so much to the sage that originally posted this tome!

Attachments

mktopside

Banned
Haha, yea that's mine. Credit and thanks to 'Andybritt', for the engine hoist idea. Without him giving me the basic outline of what to do I would have never made it far enough to be able to write it all down.

Seriously though, anti-seize and good paste tire lube are "force multipliers" if you will, when it comes to doing this in a timely manner.

Rustygears

It took a bit to realize that the 'aluminized anti seize' was just the standard Napa antiseize poop in a tub. Not even the venerable Napa parts wizards knew what it was! When I looked at the regular Napa stuff it was then we figured out that what we knew as "Robot Snot" was the same thing.

Thanks so much for the idiot proof instructions. I can certify that this idiot successfully followed them to the halfway point!

ApopkaFL

Banned
Dismount

I dismounted my last two 14.5 A3 wheels today and installed 1600 R20s on them. I took photos so here you go. I started with the back side first then I did the front side last.

Attachments

ApopkaFL

Banned
I forgot to say I did not use the chain hooks to remove the rim. I used a chain and put big washers and bolts through the lug holes and then through the chain link. I hope that made sense to you guys.

mktopside

Banned
I dismounted my last two 14.5 A3 wheels today and installed 1600 R20s on them. I took photos so here you go. I started with the back side first then I did the front side last.
Good call with the jackstand behind the hoist. Never thought of that, rodeo style is more fun though. ;-)

Rustygears

I used chain choker. The hooks on 3/8 chain works perfectly with the lug holes on the rim.

I didn't use any additional jack since the hoist/tire combination rolls the hoist on top of the tire all by itself. It's a great 1 man operation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks