• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AAR-50353-001 & AAR-50353-002 Mobile shops units

FloridaAKM

I bought a couple of these units last year from Gov Planet & put one on my M-1081 & the other one on the ground on PT timbers. The one on the ground is an excellent workshop for electrical & hobby R/C work. I hooked 120v shore power to it & everything but the ECU works due to no 3 phase power .

The unit on the M-1081 has a crushed exhaust vent on it that I can't straighten out as I did the other one (less crushed). The exhaust fan is held into the wall with rivets & a sealer & won't come out without destroying the entire unit, Has anyone found themselves in the same situation? Most of the units @ auction are badly damaged as far as the fan assembly is concerned.

FloridaAKM

Nothing like running your own thread on a subject. After finding no info on the exhaust vent system due to all the dirt & rust, the electrical feed was removed from the barrel assembly. This allowed me to see that a Sheetmetal collar was screwed around the vent on the inside. After that collar was removed & the rivets were drilled out & a big 4x4 x4' piece of lumber convinced the assembly to come loose from the wall. The motor was rusted tight & the outer raincape was severely crushed flat, so replacing the unit is probably going to be the best way to fix the mess. The unit is manufactured by the company Broan, Model # 508-D.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are these shelters insulated? I can’t find much info
Most are insulated. Especially "workshops" and "communications shacks". Generally it is roughly 2 inches thick and when the guys at the yard skewer it with the forklift, it becomes obvious. Some of the ISO Containers are also insulated as well.

FloridaAKM

The particular unit that we are discussing, I have two of & neither are insulated. They are manufactured with a 3/4" plywood sandwiched between two sheets of a fiberglass material. The frame is a heavy duty mil-spec aluminum cage.

There are two other units that I have that are manufactured of a high density foam sandwiched between two sheets of aluminum that do well in keeping the cold or heat away.

All these units are very nicely made & if you get one that hasn't been badly damaged by careless shippers, they will last many years & give you your moneys worth for what ever you chose to use it for!AAR-50353-050 Workshop.jpgAAR-50353-050 Storage Unit.jpgAAR-50353-020 Workshop.jpg

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Both of the units in the above pictures came from Iraq & had loads of very fine sand (almost a dust) in every crack & corner. Still, I could have never bought anything commercial like them for the price that I paid for these.

GP sold a dozen or more of these units @ a location near me & most of them were trashed from the workers moving them around with a huge articulated forklift that punched holes in the walls or them being left open to the rain or just being scavenged by others.

FloridaAKM

I found several brochures from the manufacturer of these units & how they were built. There was even a video from the start of the frame to completion which was quite interesting to the point that I bought two of them & probably would have bought more if transport could have been arranged.

Where I live, the county won't allow fixed buildings, but movable sheds are okay. My house is on stilts & my sheds are on a LMTV, a Deuce & a A/M 32K-4A Trailer. Still have one more Deuce, but it stays unloaded for use without the workshop on it.

Ned81

I found several brochures from the manufacturer of these units & how they were built. There was even a video from the start of the frame to completion which was quite interesting to the point that I bought two of them & probably would have bought more if transport could have been arranged.

Where I live, the county won't allow fixed buildings, but movable sheds are okay. My house is on stilts & my sheds are on a LMTV, a Deuce & a A/M 32K-4A Trailer. Still have one more Deuce, but it stays unloaded for use without the workshop on it.
Do you have a link to that video. I just bought one on gp and I’m trying to figure out what I bought. Lol. I’m a bit disappointed they are plywood. My plan is a camper but the plywood is making me second guess that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ned81

Go to ARR website & you should find your info there. Which unit did you get, the workshop or the office unit? What shape was it in?
Shop van. I haven’t picked it up yet but it looks ok in the pictures. It was the most recent sold on gp.

Ned81

It is heavy & bulky, so when you go to pick it up, be prepared for that. Which one you won, I am not sure of, but good luck when you do get it.
I’m gong with a flatbed trailer. They have fork lifts I’m assuming. The unloading should be fun.

FloridaAKM

My second unit was a shop van & it was picked up on a goose neck trailer, loaded with a big forklift (inspect it before & after loading for damage), brought home & unloaded with a set of straps tied to a tree onto 6"x6"x8' PT timbers.

We pulled over the 10" diameter tree when the shop frame got caught on the trailer, so put pipes when removing it to avoid my mistake.

The doors have a tenancy to rot out @ the bottom, so be prepared to replace that unless you get lucky. They are prewired for 3 phase power & you might get a power connection that goes between the generator & plugs straight into the power receptacle. The lighting over the bench is always broken due to rough handling, so be prepared to buy new HO fluorescent 4' lamps w/ special connectors to replace them & anti theft screwdriver to remove the screws.

Keep us informed & post a few pictures when you have time.

Ned81

My second unit was a shop van & it was picked up on a goose neck trailer, loaded with a big forklift (inspect it before & after loading for damage), brought home & unloaded with a set of straps tied to a tree onto 6"x6"x8' PT timbers.

We pulled over the 10" diameter tree when the shop frame got caught on the trailer, so put pipes when removing it to avoid my mistake.

The doors have a tenancy to rot out @ the bottom, so be prepared to replace that unless you get lucky. They are prewired for 3 phase power & you might get a power connection that goes between the generator & plugs straight into the power receptacle. The lighting over the bench is always broken due to rough handling, so be prepared to buy new HO fluorescent 4' lamps w/ special connectors to replace them & anti theft screwdriver to remove the screws.

Keep us informed & post a few pictures when you have time.
So I picket it up from GP Alabama last Monday. It’s in decent shape. The interior looks barely used. The door is not rotten. It does have some pretty bad areas though. The laminate at edge of the roof above the door has separated from the plywood and the plywood is pretty rotten all the way across the back and in about a foot. The front wall below the a/c hole is the same way but in worse shape and the lower corner of the back wall is also rotten. It looks like if you remove the rivets holding the walls to the frame you could replace the bad areas. I’m trying to figure out the best way to fix it. My plan is to make this into a removable camper so it needs to be fixed well. Any suggestions?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I picket it up from GP Alabama last Monday. It’s in decent shape. The interior looks barely used. The door is not rotten. It does have some pretty bad areas though. The laminate at edge of the roof above the door has separated from the plywood and the plywood is pretty rotten all the way across the back and in about a foot. The front wall below the a/c hole is the same way but in worse shape and the lower corner of the back wall is also rotten. It looks like if you remove the rivets holding the walls to the frame you could replace the bad areas. I’m trying to figure out the best way to fix it. My plan is to make this into a removable camper so it needs to be fixed well. Any suggestions?

Curiosity Question:

What kind of lifting devices do you have at your place to lift the bed off the truck?
A couple of A-Frames taller than the truck maybe?

The official way to move it is with a 10,000# Fork Truck with 72 inch tines.
There are 4 Tie Down points on the top four corners.
My S-280 is similar but the wood is in good condition.
I lift it with the crane on my M-1089

It seems to weigh in at about 3500# empty.
Dimensions seem to be 90” wide, 185” long and 84" high (plus about 55 inches of truck frame height)

Ned81

Curiosity Question:

What kind of lifting devices do you have at your place to lift the bed off the truck?
A couple of A-Frames taller than the truck maybe?

The official way to move it is with a 10,000# Fork Truck with 72 inch tines.
There are 4 Tie Down points on the top four corners.
My S-280 is similar but the wood is in good condition.
I lift it with the crane on my M-1089

It seems to weigh in at about 3500# empty.
Dimensions seem to be 90” wide, 185” long and 84" high (plus about 55 inches of truck frame height)
It’s actually 87” wide 165” long and 7’ high. It’s 185 including the ac housing. The plate on the side says 2900lbs with 5000lbs capacity for a total of 7900. Right now I’m going to have it on blocks close to the ground. At some point I want to add legs like a truck bed camper has. Modified of course for the extra hight. There’s a guy on YouTube that did the same thing with a s-280.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks