• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

about 5kw 60hz mep802A generator

mensah

i have a 5kw 60hz mep802A generator Used to work great yesterday i notice every 15 minutes it will shutdown and the oil gauge is stock at high end of the gauge Can anyone help?

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
i have a 5kw 60hz mep802A generator Used to work great yesterday i notice every 15 minutes it will shutdown and the oil gauge is stock at high end of the gauge Can anyone help?
What shut-down fault are you seeing? Disconnect the oil pressure gauge sending unit and turn your S1 to “run”. The gauge should read on the high end. Then, ground the wire to the sending unit. The gauge should go all the way down to low. If the gauge stays pegged on high, it’s bad.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
What shut-down fault are you seeing? Disconnect the oil pressure gauge sending unit and turn your S1 to “run”. The gauge should read on the high end. Then, ground the wire to the sending unit. The gauge should go all the way down to low. If the gauge stays pegged on high, it’s bad.
The above would be true if you also ohm checked the wire from the gauge and the sender. It should be very close to no resistance.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The oil pressure gauge will not shut the unit down. The low oil pressure switch will. You should have a light on the alarm panel indicating why the unit shut down. Without knowing why the unit is shutdown you are casting a wide net over what could be going wrong. We need to narrow it down some.

It isn't uncommon for the wire on the oil pressure switch to break from vibration.

Just to cover the bases, I assume you have checked the oil?

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Have you been around when the unit shuts off? Does it puff grey smoke when it quits?

It seems unlikely since the unit runs for a while, but a stuck pressure relief can cause the oil pressure to spike, which will cause the lifters to pump up and hold the valves open.

I would run the unit and watch the oil pressure gauge. See if the pressure is slowly rising over time. Grey smoke shows lack of compression.

I just went through this with a non-runner and Ray70 was able to help me diagnose the stuck pressure relief.

Ray70

You have to stand in front of it and accurately get a detailed description of exactly what happens as it begins to die, how quickly it dies, and what is happening after it shuts down. That will get us pointed in the right direction.

Does the oil pressure gage stay high even after the machine dies? and does it drop back to full left position if you cycle the main switch off and back to prim/run?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you reset the fault lights each time you have tried to start? Machine will not fire if you don't do that. The NO FUEL condition is caused by only two items, and both are at the rear of the machine, behind the panel hiding the fuel tank.

Try this... turn the machine to PRIME and clear the lights. While priming hold in the fault light reset button and crank the machine over. DO NOT RELEASE the fault light. If the machine runs, flip up the battle short switch and let go of the fault light button. Tell me if you can get the machine to run this way (this is temporary only, I would not recommend running it this way for any duration).

mensah

I held down the reset cracked the machine it runs after 10 minutes I shot it down when I reset it it worked the light went off.the only pro blem I have now is that the oil pressure gage is still stocked on the high end and every 15 minutes it will shot off ,will restart run like five minutes and shot off again .is there any way I can have the oil gage indicator come back to the lower end or I need to replace the oil pressure sending unit please can any on advice

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So are you getting any fault lights when it shuts down? When you press the fault reset button... do all illuminate? You could have a faulty fault panel, and your machine is shutting down for coolant overtemp or something that isn't being shown.

Ray70

You need to determine what's causing the gage to peg itself up high before you do anything. It could be the sending unit, could be the gage itself, could be a wiring issue or even an engine problem.
I'm having a little bit of a hard time understanding what you are trying to say sometimes.
Is the gage constantly stuck high, or does it come down if you turn the switch from off to Prime/Run without starting it and then go up high again after starting the engine?
If you have a multi meter you should check the wires at the gage for 24V, ground and the "S" terminal should be connected to the pressure sender and should have some resistance to ground. I don't recall the exact ohms when not running, possibly 240 ohms at 0 PSI and 30 ohms at 80 PSI? What you don't want is an open circuit or a dead short to ground. Either of those readings would mean a faulty sending unit.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I am reading, the gauge is just pegged high 24x7, no matter the S1 state. Other have asked, and its a crucial detail you need to provide us remote diagnosers.... HOW is the unit shutting down after 15 minutes? Does it slow to a stop? Does it chug and die? What color is the exhaust? Is the engine bay extremely warm when it shuts down? Do you have an infrared thermometer you can point and test measure block/water pump/coolant hose temperatures with?

The details are what is needed here. Do the gauges do anything strange during this forced shutdown? Are you getting ANY fault lights, even briefly?

mensah

gauge pegged high 24/7 no matter the position of S1 smoke end everything send normal the only thing noticed is the
3the hz indicator will drop to 0 and the generaor will shot down

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you confirmed your DC alternator is putting out the correct voltage, and that your batteries are working properly (load tested by an auto parts store)? If you have failing cells, they might work well enough to start, but if your alternator is not charging them, the machine fails under use as the FSS is no longer held open. Just another idea.

Ray70

If the HZ gage drops suddenly to zero and then the machine dies, that sounds like an electrical shut down, not mechanical engine shut down.
If the engine dies due to a mechanical issue the HZ will drop as engine speed decreases. It won't drop instantly to zero and then the engine dies.

As for the gage, it sounds like the gage itself is bad, assuming you checked all the electrical connections and the sender.
Look closely to see if the needle is stuck touching the side of the gage body. If so, remove it and loosen all the nuts on the back, bang the ide of the gage against your palm to knock the needle loose. Tighten nuts and reinstall. if it immediately pegs again when you turn S1 to Run then the gage is damaged internally. If it stays low until the engine comes up to speed and then pegs itself, that indicates a possible issue with the oil pressure relief valve.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks