• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Add another 818 to the list and safe

MilitaryRestoration

Wreck pictures/Add another 818 to the list and safe

Well plan was to drive it along with the 5ton flat deck trailer we bought, home all at same time but the 'plan' changed. With the truck not wanting to start and when you hook slave cables up to it, even with both switches off, it tries turning over and with pushes around the gl yard for 30min and no start. It was decided that I just take my current 818 over and pick the new one up. Fortunately two weeks prior I got the current 818 back up and running, after rebuild the transfer case due to buddy/helper hooking up the air shift sprag lines up backwards :-!
Went over on a saturday and picked it up. Was supposed to meet Reuben over there to assist him with his, but the night before I got stuck on a pass on way home due to a multiple fatality so I didn't get home till late late which made my trip over to gl late late... At any rate got her all hooked up and lighted up, greased and air'd, trany and xfer case in neutral and ready to roll. No issues what so ever on way home and now she sits awaiting me to have time to work on her.

btw I think that it is the starter solenoid, correct me if i'm wrong...

Attachments

Last edited:

MilitaryRestoration

wsu - i took them off to get my two van trailers as the short one did not work with them on and then took a bunch of those 52" tires to idaho so didn't have time to put them back on and had to move short trailer when got back anyway... and then xfer case problems since...till few weeks ago so just now got truck back to where the 52's are and currently breaking them down to put my nos two piece wheels i got on them :) long story short, thats what happened 0:)

reuben - i had a long bad bad friday, followed by a very long weekend, and it all hit me yesterday and I fell asleep at like 1630 and didn't wake back up till 0300 for work again. I should be up till 8 maybe later tonight

others - thank you for comments..>!

BTW, does anyone have the for sure correct way to hook the 'wrecker safety chain' I tried a few different ways and decided that the way i did it along with the other chain was safest/best way with what I had to work with...

MilitaryRestoration

this is why my friday was so bad... worst part is the guy in ranger killed... was the guy in log truck's best friend and was over at his house night before... both named jose. This is why i can't stress enough on here not to mess around with the bigger mv stuff... it may seem like a hobby but especially with the 5tons and up including trailers you gotta be thinking about what it is that you are really doing... even when it comes to what you are tying down, that is why i stress so much to others on here, more tie downs the better AND CROSS YOUR CHAINS! for an example everything was tied down correctly and properly, log truck was doing speed limit and there was no neglegence in this wreck yet still look how nasty it was. Pickup hit black ice and swerved right infront of the log truck, the log truck going down hill with 90000 gross drug the car underneath it for 20 yards on asphalt and another 80 yards off road in boulders(keep in mind log truck was only going 35-40) so when everyone is trying to get top speed out of their mv's keep these pictures in mind... Is it worth possibly killing someone?

Attachments

bigelk50

Dang Todd!! Sorry to hear about the guy who got killed. I am glad that is not your truck in those photos! Get some rest and we will talk tomorrow! Safety is no accident!

wsucougarx

Wow Todd! Thanks for the sobering reminder. Seriously, how many of us have actually done a real safety check on our MV? I would venture to say the majority of us have not. I am guilty. I consider myself lucky for having driven home 4 deuces w/out any issues. I told myself that I am not going to get my trucks insured to be driven until I yank those hubs off and check each hub to make sure everything is good to go. It just takes one pleasure drive to ruin it all

MilitaryRestoration

:ditto:"It just takes one pleasure drive to ruin it all"

I couldn't of said it better!

and to add to it " just five minutes to recheck your tie downs or to add just one more, could save your life or someone else's"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks