• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a K31 turbo to my 250.

hethead

Long term plan for this truck is to be a MadMax type rig for living in when I retire. 40' trailer for shop/living quarters built on log trailer suspension, so I can take it off road a little. Cab will be a '53 International Metro van body. Anyway, I'm adding a K31 turbo. It's the type found on the 12.7 Detroit 60 and I picked it because it's plentiful and has an integral wastegate I can adjust to keep it under 10 lbs of boost.

So far I've turned up the rail pressure to a little over 200psi, shimmed the governor to 2400 rpm and replaced the injector screens, which were clogging. It made a really big difference. Runs over 900F when I push it at all though, so that's part of the reason for the turbo. It will stick out of the hood 99% for fun and 1% to help cool the intake air.

I'll post pics and video of the progress. Parts are showing up and I should be able to start in the next couple weeks.

Attachments

hethead

I‘m hoping to use the 250 manifold by making an adapter to fit between it and the turbo. I already have what I need, so it should only cost me time.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I‘m hoping to use the 250 manifold by making an adapter to fit between it and the turbo. I already have what I need, so it should only cost me time.
Ok. I was asking cause if you use the Big Cam manifold, due to the way the turbo mounts on that manifold you can't just use any turbo. It has to be a reverse rotation turbo

hethead

Ok. I was asking cause if you use the Big Cam manifold, due to the way the turbo mounts on that manifold you can't just use any turbo. It has to be a reverse rotation turbo
Ahhh ok. I didn’t know that. This’ll be a very one off deal. I’m not even gonna keep the turbo and plumbing from sticking through the hood. It’s more of a rat rod than anything.

hethead

That's very close! I'll have to check out his profile. I'd like to see more of that truck. That "bullnose" hood of the 809's is my favorite feature. Such a great shape. I'll be leaving the front of it alone, but a 50 lb turbo sticking out of it... I just can't resist.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Not meaning to rain in on your parade as you get enough of that from where you live at :ROFLMAO: but you might want to reconsider your rig size unless you plan on staying on the interstates and in RV parks. If anything if you really want to retire and see this country I suggest any rig under 30' in total length 25' if possible with slide outs. I speak from experience and I use to live in Port Angeles, just trying to go off road it was tight with 30' of rig and National Parks frown on anything over 25' going to 30' you will get in half of them or less.
I had the same vision till 50k miles later of back roads, state and federal land camp grounds and was glad I never got my 5th wheel project off the ground built from a 40' shipping container.Untitled(14).jpg

hethead

Not meaning to rain in on your parade as you get enough of that from where you live at :ROFLMAO: but you might want to reconsider your rig size unless you plan on staying on the interstates and in RV parks. If anything if you really want to retire and see this country I suggest any rig under 30' in total length 25' if possible with slide outs. I speak from experience and I use to live in Port Angeles, just trying to go off road it was tight with 30' of rig and National Parks frown on anything over 25' going to 30' you will get in half of them or less.
I had the same vision till 50k miles later of back roads, state and federal land camp grounds and was glad I never got my 5th wheel project off the ground built from a 40' shipping container.View attachment 870278
My plan is to stick to mostly highways and truck stops (to take advantage of the space, parking and easy refueling) and I’ll be carrying a landrover and several motorcycles to ride into towns and parks etc. I’ll be using the all wheel drive and ground clearance in Alaska, the deserts of the southwest and hopefully some beaches. I’ve driven to the Arctic Ocean a couple times and some places where there’s tons of room, but you need a sturdy off-road rig to go. I’ve done a couple dozen cross country trips in land rovers, camper trailers and on a motorcycle. I’ve found that when I’m on the road, I miss my bikes, my shop, etc. so I decided to build a vehicle big enough to take it all with me and slowly migrate around, seasonally. Might take a year to get cross country if I find enough cool ghost towns to stay in and explore.

hethead

Did the turbo this week. Had everything collected (elbows, hoses, etc) so it was a 24 hr quick and dirty install. Runs and sounds great. It’s a lot of fun.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks