• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on Deuce purchase.

Good morning from a FNG.
I've been constantly bugged for the last 2 months since looking at a local Deuce. I think I need to buy it but would like some advice.
Here's the basics. It's a 1985 M35A2C WO/W. 14000 miles, 650 hours. New soft top, heater, LDT465-1C engine. It was an Air Force truck. No troop seats, no rear cover but has the bows and side fences for the bed in need of wood replacement.
Some light surface rust. A few fluid leaks in the engine area. Tires at about 50%.
The price is firm at $3000.
Any words of wisdom form those in the know would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Dave

monkeythumbs

Pic would help of you have any. Since its a 1985 that'll makes tagging it as historical easier. Has the owner done anything to it, meaning how well does he know the truck. Have you driven the vehicle ? Have a place to keep it ? Whats the wife/gf think ?

RealCavDog

An '85 C model dropside ? $3.000 ? Would totally be checking it out, as after over 2 years of looking and hunting, I notice the market is rising, so . . . . if all is good and functional, Brakes, dual or single circuit,motor, tranny, rust, title paperwork done or Sf-97. Much easier to add a winch to an A2 for me, than to my A3 !

I myself would have loved to known about a truck so close to Missouri !

You better move fast ! , I am still looking for a dropside to go with my newly purchased 1999 A3 !

One more thing to add !

nopics

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Prices for deuces are inching up.....if it is a good runner and the owner has a title in hand (not the promise of an SF-97) that is not a bad price.

There are several members in your area that might give it a look see for you and give you a second opinion (or buy it out form under you:grin:).

Can someone up there help a Brother out????

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an '87 ex-airforce M35a2c. Sounds like a good price if like what wreckerman was saying. Pics of mine at GL auction last year and then last Monday.
What did you pay on GL for that beauty? I haven't even gotten my EUC for my first truck, an A3 and am starting to look at A2's(preferably with winch).

Thanks for all the prompt responses and info links.
I have lots of photos but I have to 1. downsize them. and 2. learn how to post them on this forum.
The truck has a title. The owner has several 2.5 and 5 ton trucks he uses in his construction business. He and his father have had them for years. He buys them direct from the government auctions. This truck was driven home after purchase. It has been used as a farm truck since.
The truck runs but I didn't drive it. I needed further info on registration and insurance before getting serious enough to drive it. As it is, it can be registered in Ohio as a historical vehicle. I can insure it as a historical vehicle through my current home/auto agent. Anual cost for registration and liability ins. is $125.
It is currently outdoors and would be outdoors if I bring it home, at least for a few years.
No wife to worry about and GF is a former Army nurse of 10 years. She has driven them during her service and is indifferent about my aquisition of one.
I just want this as a toy. I don't see driving it more than a couple times a month but then again, it may be addicting. If it had a ring mount it would already be in the driveway.
I should be getting a second look in the next few days. If I don't end up with it I'd be more than happy to pass the info on.
Have a great weekend.

steelandcanvas

What did you pay on GL for that beauty?
I know for a fact that truck did not look that good when Glen bought it. It was sitting right next to mine when we went to GL to pick mine up. Our two trucks are "brothers", there is only one digit difference between the serial numbers. Glen has spent alot of time making his truck look nice.[thumbzup]

wsucougarx

well, if that truck was parked here on the west coast 3k would be a great deal[thumbzup]. Traditionally, the USAF has an outstanding track record on maintenance of their equipment. I've got two ex-USAF deuce myself. Like everyone said, make sure the guy has a title for the truck first before anything is considered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks