• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

aftermarket Speedo

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking of replacing my stock mechanical speedo since mine does 69/70. I know they have the electronic 80mph in the later models.

My thought was to use an aftermarket like this autometer #2690 since it mechanical and change the bulb to 24v . Anyone gone this route?

Attachments

lindsey97

Looked up the specs on summit racing for the autometer 2690.

diameter of instrument: 3 3/8". Input is 5/8"-18 threaded adapter with .104" square drive.

I looked at a Stewart Warner speedometer I have out of a M939 5 ton, it measures 3 3/8" in diameter, has 5/8" thread input on the back, with a square drive tang.

I am curious what the input speed is of the 5 ton speedo and the autometer 2690. Could they both be 0-1000rpm like other class 8 trucks with mechanical speedometers?

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looked up the specs on summit racing for the autometer 2690.

diameter of instrument: 3 3/8". Input is 5/8"-18 threaded adapter with .104" square drive.

I looked at a Stewart Warner speedometer I have out of a M939 5 ton, it measures 3 3/8" in diameter, has 5/8" thread input on the back, with a square drive tang.

I am curious what the input speed is of the 5 ton speedo and the autometer 2690. Could they both be 0-1000rpm like other class 8 trucks with mechanical speedometers?
On the hmmwv I think it is all good, direct mechanical drive. Not sure on the M939, I know the A1 & A2 use a different 90* adapter on the cable due to the tire size to make the ratio correct but the speedo is the same unit. Should work ok as long as the correct tire size matches the ratio of the adapter, Speedo should display correct speed.

The autometer uses a plain 194 wedge bulb but those are out there in 24v led in many colors.

Action

Speed is adjusted by a plastic gear inside the transfer case below the 90* elbow. I think I have seen 3 different gears. Only one bolt holds it in.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
T/C gear is orange 35 teeth for 2.56 diff's, red 36 teeth for 2.73, and red and 40 or more teeth for 3.08's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks