• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Brakes

3up

Hello everyone,
Just made a deal on a 1992 M934 A2 with 17' Expando box. Selling class A motorhome and going to build out this live and travel in it. This is a Boyhood dream for me and my girl loves the idea. Anyway it blows air off every 6 seconds driving is this normal? It has a pyrometer but it goes past 1200 degrees easy. Is all this normal? My first full air brake system. Thank you Les

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello everyone,
Just made a deal on a 1992 M934 A2 with 17' Expando box. Selling class A motorhome and going to build out this live and travel in it. This is a Boyhood dream for me and my girl loves the idea. Anyway it blows air off every 6 seconds driving is this normal? It has a pyrometer but it goes past 1200 degrees easy. Is all this normal? My first full air brake system. Thank you Les
Well Congratulations!

You may not be able to go as fast as a Class A Motorhome, but you can definitely get out in the woods and have fun. Even better that your girl is happy with the idea! Just don't wear her out on the idea because you are always working on the truck. Easy to get wound up on fixing the truck. Heck, throw a camp stove and a lantern, an air mattress and go enjoy it. THEN you have something that you both want to fix :)

I noticed that you are a new member, so WELCOME to the Steel Soldiers!. Be sure to take advantage of the downloadable TM's for your truck. The 939 Series are what you need for the truck. The last few numbers in the TM's (Technical Manuals) tell you what they are all about. The "-10" in the end of TM9-2320-272-10 for example is the Operations Manual (User's Guide)

The "-24" is general support manual for the M939 series truck. (There are 4 books)
The "-24p" is parts (There are 2 books)

Download all of them. That way you have them as you go along. They are REALLY DRY reading, but just thumbing through the pictures will be useful. Especially when you are trying to describe the thing under this other thing - and we won't know what the heck you are talking about. The books will solve that.

Snap a few pictures of your New-To-You truck so all of us can oggle it. :cool:
And, again - welcome to the outfit!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Intercooler? like a universal one? Is there one everyone on here likes?
Rg31 mrap units have an aluminum radiator. Transmission air charge cooler and intercooler made into one @silverstate55 might have one near youm or I've got a few

Radiator swap is about a three job and a simple Mod. Welding intercooler pipes is more time

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What does KS RSMS mean? Is there a way to figure out how many miles it really has on it after the rebuild
Readiness Sustainment Maintenance Site @ Fort Riley, Kansas

Hate to be the bearer or bad news about mileage, but military vehicles are exempt from mileage (odometer) requirements. If the speedometer is swapped out, chances are good that it got changed and started at zero. Most are low mileage, but driven by a hormone fountain in a hurry to get to the next thing that needs to be done.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just wondering have you looked to see / feel where the air is popping from? If it is an over pressure of 150 then you would back down on the governor to 120. Just spit balling could it be the air dryer lower unit popping off and needs to be serviced? As for the pop off valve some can be taken apart and cleaned as it a adjusting screw, plate rubber and spring. Easer if you take it apart is bring it into the shop with shop air with gages with adjustable regulator and you set your pop of pressure with the adjusting screw. Not fun but can be done. Just try and remember / count threads of where the set screw was to start. This help take some time off setting it back to specs.

Last edited:

3up

Thank you, it only pops off driving, its passenger side by air tanks The gauge on the dash pumped up to about 120 primary and secondary. I read here somewhere that if the horn doesn't work it will tell you it's certain valve but I couldn't find that thread again and my horn doesn't work, yes its high miles but i have a feeling its a new motor no smoke on cold start runs really good. And it was all i could afford at this time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks