• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air conditioning in my M925A2

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the correct A/C set up that goes into the M939A2 series trucks. Everything is stock military, except the box in the cab (the condenser unit in the cab is stock military and the controls are stock). The box had to be modified because I wanted to retain the original bench seat. The unit is normally mounted horizontally, but it was modified to mount vertically. The guys who are installing it for me are doing a great job and have experience actually installing this A/C unit in military M939A2 series trucks. Here are a couple of pics of the install, which is not quite done.

Attachments

wehring

AC

Looks good Bruce. Thank you for the pics. Are you going to make a full report when it is done?

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that looks pretty cool. Didn't even know the 939 series had air conditioning upgrades, learn something new every day.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The entire set up is 24V. It was made by RED DOT, the company that makes air conditioning systems for other military vehicles, such as the HMMWV. RED DOT generally does not want to sell kits for military vehicles to the general public. The company I am dealing with had much of the kit in inventory. Other parts under the hood were the same whether the application is military or civilian. The only thing that was modified was the box in the cab. The system is 33,000 btu's, the largest unit the RED DOT makes. I have not yet tried it as I have not gotten it home. I suspect that the efficiency will suffer because my truck has a soft top and all of these trucks have air leaks. We'll see. I believe it was rated to drop the ambient temperature inside of the truck from like 125 or 130 degrees down to 80 (can't remember the exact specs I was quoted)

Attachments

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is also a soft top. Let us know how it works; could really use something like that in Florida! Also what a ballpark cost would be to upgrade.

Nonotagain

Bruce, The Red Dot unit looks just like the units made back in the early 1980's.

The issues we had back then was that the drains constantly clogged up then leaked water all over the place.

The installer wouldn't happen to be ERS would it?

HawkeyeMech

Definitely ned one of these in Texas - Who are you working with Bruce? I'm ready to order!!!
I'm actually going to be in Gaithersburg in July so if you can give me their contact info I would like to schedule an appointment with them!

Last edited:

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a comlete A/C unit from a new model 2 1/2 ton, I believe it's a 1028, and currently modifying my M35A2. Pics are coming. I am fabricating the mount for the compressor. I live in Florida and this is a necessary addition. :driver:

zout

That is a nice looking install in the 925.

Not to steal your thread - on my build of Dinger65's M109 in our thread it shows the install to his unit of the a/c retrofit kit that was available a year ago.

Dinger will have his 109 at the pig roast for anyone wanting to check it out. The day I fired it up after fabricating it all in - it was 105 air temp in the cab - in roughly 3 minutes it was dropping below 70 and running like a waterfall. His cab got all insulated as well - both of which I would not even consider doing to the second 109.

But your kit is made for your unit where the install is neat - compact and tidy. These retrofit kits were a PIA to get right.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A/C set up was pricey. I don't have the receipt in front of me, but it was in the $6K range. I wavered for obvious reasons, but I decided I wanted a truck I could drive in the summer.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...oh yeah, that system blows cold and hard. I have not yet tried it on a hot day because it is still fairly cool around here, but I suspect it will cool the cab, even with the soft top, just fine. If I have any real loss, I will swap the hard top from one of my other M939 series trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks