• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air dryer freeze up and other problems

BenRoberts

Certified insane
I am having an issue 0n my 923 where when the outside temp is oh id say high 20s or lower my air pressure will build too high before blowing off. after it runs awhile (gets warm) its business as usual with it shutting off at about 120psi. the only thing I can think of is ice build up in the dryer. I do have the upgraded mrap dryer and I do drain the tanks but ​seldom have any moisture come out. Im open to suggestions and ideas on this one. Thanks fellas.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
once the dryer pops off the compressor stops but while its cold it runs and runs and i figured since compressed air is hot that it thaws its shelf out but I may be way out of line on this one. Maybe this is a sign for me to move to warmer climates

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I had a 923 over the weekend would build pressure to 130 and not blow off. Went for a drive and hit a few bumps and it worked again. I have air brake antifreeze in mine and has no issues. If the pressure wont blow off just Crack your two middle drains and let them bleed off. If you have to drive it. It will keep them from maxing out.

Have you checked the wire to the heater to ensure it is getting power to it?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

BenRoberts

Certified insane
I had a 923 over the weekend would build pressure to 130 and not blow off. Went for a drive and hit a few bumps and it worked again. I have air brake antifreeze in mine and has no issues. If the pressure wont blow off just Crack your two middle drains and let them bleed off. If you have to drive it. It will keep them from maxing out.

Have you checked the wire to the heater to ensure it is getting power to it?

. Ill have to check the heater wire. Should it be full 24v? if I dont have it where does one trace this back too.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
new problems with the 923

Ok I went out tonight and started the truck up to test my theory on it being frozen and letting too much air build since its in the 50s and thats clearly not the case. Although it wasnt as bad it built about 15psi more than usual before it popped off and got better each time after. Problem number 2 now the abs light is now coming on after it idles a few minutes. problem number 3 the voltage gauge is going haywire. reads high then low. I shut the truck off and now it shows the batteries are low but truck turns over just fine. problem 4 is air leaks I can hear when I shut it off but thats not a big deal. Since its dark and raining I didnt get into with her. we had a talk and she is in trouble when it quits raining and I just want to pick at the brains of some experts on here in the mean time

74M35A2

Truck was likely shut down in wrong switch order, and zapped the alternator and ABS module. Welcome to the club. Your alternator is probably not working anymore. I sell replacements that do not have the failure characteristics of the stock one, for reasonable prices. You can also get a Chinese one for $110 shipped to your door, but I don't offer them. Or you can replace it with stock and go through it all again.

Air leaks are pretty much search-and-destroy type issues.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
. Ill have to check the heater wire. Should it be full 24v? if I dont have it where does one trace this back too.
Wire 587 goes up to the drivers side firewall circuit breaker. Which in turn goes to the spring brake override. Before the breaker it goes to the pcb and is spliced in with the alternator.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Wire 587 goes up to the drivers side firewall circuit breaker. Which in turn goes to the spring brake override. Before the breaker it goes to the pcb and is spliced in with the alternator.

Now with that said if My alternator went out and my voltage got low I would have to imagine its no difference than any other car when the electronics go haywire

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Could be. Unplug the breaker and see what happens

Jericho

You can check voltage at the air dryer, easy to get to the connector , Comes apart hard, BUT if its 20 degrees or less just start it and wait a few, then Just feel up around the heater element, you will feel it .

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm pretty sure there is 24v and 12v heaters. I know when I rebuilt mine it was asked 12 or 24v. Since yours is not stock, maybe you need to find out if its 12v cause I bet 24v would put a hurtin on it.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
I bought it from suprman on here and hes sold tons of them and this all may be stemming from a low voltage situation. I have a love hate relationship with this truck

74M35A2

You're in OH? That is GR's and a few other's stomping grounds. You'll need to be changing your avatar pic every 3 weeks, it is a requirement of the OH members.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Probably the ppv on the truck freezing up. See if the horn and wipers work when it's building over pressure. The governor is past the ppv so if it's frozen then the governor can't do its job.
Will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks