• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air filter questions

mattgunguy

I'm wanting to know what type of air filter to run in a environment with heavy airborne particulate matter. Something on the order of a heavy sandstorm. Or what steps could be taken to protect my motor in such an environment should the need arise. My Google fu hasn't been of help on this.

Thank you

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI what type of trk is it? I would get a washable type (like K&N) and or a cover for it like used on the CUCV's.
pm me if you want I have a good source for filters washable ones.

mattgunguy

Wildboy6x6, it's a 1970 m35a2 Ltd-465-1c. With no real engine mods to speak of.

Gimpy, that Centri precleaner looks really cool. Except the price tag. Do you have any Persian experience with one?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wildboy6x6, it's a 1970 m35a2 Ltd-465-1c. With no real engine mods to speak of.

Gimpy, that Centri precleaner looks really cool. Except the price tag. Do you have any Persian experience with one?
I don't, but I have seen many dozers and trackhoes with them installed.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has this number - 19207 10912373
I don't know if that's an NSN, or part #, or something else all together.

mattgunguy

Well, I do believe I'll pick up a precleaner before long, & find a stock filter to go with it. Thanks for the idea gimpy. Wouldn't have thought about it myself.

tim292stro

I bought a Donaldson TopSpin to use with the XM1027 project (CUCV knock-off). I'm putting it before a Donaldson PowerCore two-stage air filter using a custom snorkel duct. The Donaldson PSD series is rated for "heavy dust" filter is what Oshkosh is using on the new MRAPs and L-ATV prototypes, it has several rows of cyclonic particle separators (think Dyson bag-less vacuum cleaner), right before a ridiculously high capacity and flow air filter (dry-type, not cleanable) with an internal backup filter. There is an outlet for the pre-cleaner which can either dump the separated dust to ground, or be used with an exhaust aspirator to suck it out of the air filter housing and blow it out your exhaust pipe (like heavy construction vehicles do in very dusty work-sites).

They aren't that expensive either, I paid $300 for both parts, filters for the PSD10 I bought are $66 for the primary, $35 for the safety filter. Recommendation is to change the primary filter every second oil change, and the safety filter every third primary filter change - with a "FilterMinder" type device you can stretch the filter interval to when it's needed, not when it's easier to remember to check.

[EDIT:] If you're really worried about dirt/dust, the air filters found on most quarry trucks are also Donaldson two-stage air filters:

dump truck.jpg

Donaldson SSG [/EDIT]

[EDIT 2:] YouTube video on how (and how well) the spinning pre-cleaners work:

[/EDIT 2]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks