• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air impact wrench

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I Don't think so. I've had some that gave a 1" impact trouble. I'd say a 3/4 is the bare minimum.

waayfast

Yup,not enough horse power to break them loose. But at least it would finish spinning them off once you broke them loose with the old Armstrong Hand tools.Handy to have one for your on board tool kit for out in the boonies.
JJ

motomacguyver

Well I can't say from experience, as I haven't tried it with a 400 ft/lbs impact(all I have) But when the tire shop mounted my tires they used a torque wrench and went to 500 ft/lbs. About a 3 foot cheater bar works with no problems and no grunting for me.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a 1/2" impact wrench with 1/2" hose and it was not up to the task. I bought a Chicago Pneumatic 3/4" impact wrench and with the same 1/2" hose I have not had any problems. If you want to be certain you won't have any problems go to 1". However, those are a lot heavier and use a lot of air. Make sure you have an air source that can handle the tool.

91W350

Depends upon the tool that put them on, my Snap On was not up to the task, it got 9 out of 12 loose on the rear axle. I had to go to a buddy's truck shop for the others, old Snappy would not touch any of the inner nuts. I have a large two cylinder compressor with a 500 gallon tank, it will maintain over 100 psi on an open line and shuts down at 130. Glen

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once I tried a 1/2" impact because it was all I had. It sat there going tick-tick-tick-tick and the nut just sat there. I got a 1" impact from CGarbee a couple years back and I never looked back.

rickf

Depends upon the tool that put them on, my Snap On was not up to the task, it got 9 out of 12 loose on the rear axle. I had to go to a buddy's truck shop for the others, old Snappy would not touch any of the inner nuts. I have a large two cylinder compressor with a 500 gallon tank, it will maintain over 100 psi on an open line and shuts down at 130. Glen
A 500 gallon air tank!!!!!!! I am guessing that is a typo?

Rick

hdmax

There aren't any 1/2" drive impact wrenches that will remove the average lug nut that has spent more than a few days tightened to spec.
I bought this one 1" Pneumatic Impact Wrench when it was on sale for $219.99 plus tax. It will remove pretty much any bolt, or nut, either that, or twist it off.
Most 1/2" impacts have trouble with bolts, and nuts on a 3/4 ton pickup truck.

You never said if you were having problems, or just wanting to know.
If you are having a problem, just remember that there is NO lefty loosey, rightie tightie on the military lugs.

Last edited:

91W350

Might be wrong, it is about 6 feet tall and 40" in diameter. Is that a 300 gallon tank? I know when I moved it, I had to leave the tailgate down on my M1008 as it was too long for the bed with compressor. Glen

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be wrong, it is about 6 feet tall and 40" in diameter. Is that a 300 gallon tank? I know when I moved it, I had to leave the tailgate down on my M1008 as it was too long for the bed with compressor. Glen
Accourding to my math, that tank will hold 391.5 gallons. Maybe they're calling it a 400 gallon tank.

hdmax

Either way, that is a huge tank! Mine is just 80 gal. but runs 200 PSI at 10 CFM. I would like to have a tank that size, but it would have to be 1/2" grade 60 steel to hold those pressures. (I am guessing on the numbers, but it would be heavy!)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have 1/2", 3/4" and 1" impacts. My 1/2" models are Ingersol-Rand IR231 and IR2131's.

clintogf and I have had dozens of deuces....... and the IR 1/2" models have removed every lugnut except for 2. So the success rate is literally over 100:1.

Now, all that being said, a success rate of 100:1 does you absolutely NO good when you have encountered that 1 nut.

So buy a big 3/4" or 1" jobbie because eventually you will need it.

91W350

It used to sit on a pair of those, but I decided shop space was more important than air reserve and gave one tank to a friend in need for his body shop. At any rate, it is a lot of compressor and storage for a home garage. 391 gallons, next time I am in the garage, I will have to look and see what it really is, if it is marked and I can read it through all of the accumulated over spray and dirt.... You would need to subtract a little for the rounded ends and the 6" or so of legs it stands on. Glen

KsM715

You never said if you were having problems, or just wanting to know.
If you are having a problem, just remember that there is NO lefty loosey, rightie tightie on the military lugs.
:ditto: Wouldnt be the first time someone tried to remove the drivers side without success.

hdmax

I'd say pretty much all of us has done it at least once.

As for the IR 1/2" impact, I have one, not sure the model, but it is at least 15 Y/O, and it will not break loose the lugs on my 2500HD Silverado, even with a huge air supply. (The 1" Earthquake don't even get warmed up.)

91W350

One of the M105s I stole tires and wheels off of had RH threads on both sides. I about ruined my bar trying to break the left side loose. When I finally figured it out (duhhh) I thought the other side would be backwards too. I am betting there is another 105 out there with LH threads on the right side....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks