• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air line diagram

extremetownie

i need to find a air line diagram. i bought a 5 ton truck that is a wreck. i was abandoned by loggers,that bad. . i started tracing the air lines to repair leaks and to get the brakes working. well it is so bad that they have actually ran air line to the brake wheel cylinders.i cant get it to stay in 4 wd. when you put it in reverse in just blows air out by the tranny. if i could get a diagram, im sure i could put it back together correctly.
thanks roger

Monty

Look up the tm in the resource tab up top, I'm not sure of the number off hand but you'll be able to print out the Tm or just the pages you'll need.

Plus everyone here is a wealth of knowledge:)

jwaller

the 5t trucks have a sprag transfer case so you wont be able to get it to stay in 4wd or 6wd unless the sprag scenes a differential in front and rear shaft speeds.

if your getting a air leak in reverse then you need to R&R the shift valve in the trans and clean it up or rebuild it. this has discussed on here at length with pics of the whole process. search for it. I believe it was on an 818.

extremetownie

there is a air cyclinder with air lines running to the transfer case. does this still use the sprag? or is it like a duece air shift? im real confused, but eager to learn.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What 5 ton do you have. From that we can direct you to the correct -20 manual. In the back of the -20 (in the appendix) you will find diagrams for all that you seek.

ida34

It is not an air shift like a deuce air shift. On a deuce air shift the air engages 6x6. On a deuce with a sprag linkage between the trans and transfer case tells the transfer which sprag to engage. there is one for forward and one for backward. They are basically overrunning clutches. The five tons are sprag but they do not have linkage to tell the transfer to engage the forward or rearward sprag. On the five tons an air valve on the shifter assembly sends air to the transfer case to tell it which sprag to engage. It is very important not to let the truck roll backward while the trans is in a forward gear. The same goes for rolling forward with the trans in reverse. The sprag will not engage the front wheels unless a certain amount of difference is detected between the front and rear driveshafts on the transfer. Basically, when it starts slipping and their is s difference between the front and rear wheel speed the sprag engages and you are now in 6x6. It is common to have air leaks in the valve on the trans shifter.

extremetownie

What 5 ton do you have. From that we can direct you to the correct -20 manual. In the back of the -20 (in the appendix) you will find diagrams for all that you seek.
i tried looking at the manuals listed in the resources with no luck. my truck is a M51A2, 6 X 6, 5 TON, 5th Wheel Tractor , i believe. if you could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it

oilcan

i tried looking at the manuals listed in the resources with no luck. my truck is a M51A2, 6 X 6, 5 TON, 5th Wheel Tractor , i believe. if you could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it

The TM you're looking for covers the G744 series trucks. TM 9-2320-211-20, etc...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks