• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air pressure bleeder sounds like someone is using an air nailer in my cab?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's an air pressure bleeder?

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would check how much air PSI you building to if over 120 to 125 you are building to much air ( If its the high PSI pop off). Your air dryer can sound like that too but lower noise level if the air dryer purge valve is not working.

dmetalmiki

Post up what air pressure is indicated on the gauge. If a safety valve is 'blowing off' then it is way too high. And needs addressing asap.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So, you are talking about the safety pressure relief valve? Its possibly old, take it out and test it. Since you said the noise was in the cab and the pressure relief valve should be under the cab, do you know for sure what is making the noise?

rtadams89

I know this sound. Occasionally it occurs in my deuce and does sound like a nail gun being fired repeatedly. It's not a safety valve that opens and is letting out a hiss of air, but rather a mechanically clicking clearly driven by air power (like a nail gun). No idea where it is coming from, as it always stops before I can pull over and investigate.

I'll also add my air pressure is right at 90 psi.

rustystud

I know this sound. Occasionally it occurs in my deuce and does sound like a nail gun being fired repeatedly. It's not a safety valve that opens and is letting out a hiss of air, but rather a mechanically clicking clearly driven by air power (like a nail gun). No idea where it is coming from, as it always stops before I can pull over and investigate.

I'll also add my air pressure is right at 90 psi.
It sounds like the air governor is not working properly or the air-compressor "unloader" valves are not working right. Either way your pressure should be 120psi not 90psi. So you need to look at the governor. It is mounted on the firewall near the air filter.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to confirm the air pressure with a new gauge.

nukem

It is a pressure relief valve mounted on the end of the air governor. I found a good picture of one by doin a quick search. The picture were from gringletaub? The one I have is pic "d".

nukem

Well, I broke down and got another air governor. It is different than the one on the truck. The new one has ports in three different positions for r (I imagine tanks), v (vent?) and u (unloader?). Ok, nine different access ports. I understand the included plugs for the spare access ports.
I understand the vent should be open to the atmosphere. I don't want to leave anything open. We have a serious problem with "dirt dawbers"?sp. Could I plug two of the ports and use a vented plug like used on natural gas/propane regulators on the last one? It's a plug with an extremely small hole in it?

rustystud

Well, I broke down and got another air governor. It is different than the one on the truck. The new one has ports in three different positions for r (I imagine tanks), v (vent?) and u (unloader?). Ok, nine different access ports. I understand the included plugs for the spare access ports.
I understand the vent should be open to the atmosphere. I don't want to leave anything open. We have a serious problem with "dirt dawbers"?sp. Could I plug two of the ports and use a vented plug like used on natural gas/propane regulators on the last one? It's a plug with an extremely small hole in it?
Buy a vented plug. One that has a filter on the end. You need the flow of air so don't use one with a small orifice.

nukem

The picture with "Big Mikes" says "leave open" on the vent port but I'm afraid of dirt dawbers and other things plugging Iit up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks