• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air ride for bench seat / dual buckets -- need ideas / suggestions

Mudog715

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up some of the GSS "Cobra" MRAP front bucket seats with the integral harnesses to put in my M931. I would like to retain 3-across seating capability, as well as add air-ride to at least the driver and right pass seat. I am pulling the battery box and relocating batteries outside the cab. Obviously for the driver seat the process is pretty straightforward: pull old seat & base, bolt the MRAP seat to air-ride base and mount the assembly back in truck. On the pass side I was thinking it would be better if BOTH passenger seats shared a common base so they move together. Does that seem reasonable or am I nuts for considering it? Are there special bases for dual seats?

Alternatively, I also have some of the "Shock-Ride" flip-up MRAP crew seats. These also have intgrated 5-point harnesses and are intended to mount to a vertical surface. I could air-ride mount the outer buckets, then mount one of these "jump-seats" in the middle. The downside is a rough ride for the middle passenger, plus no recline... the upside would be extra room in the middle with 2 people in the cab for a console/fridge/etc. and theoretically easier time mounting in the truck.

Interested in hearing feedback and alternative solutions. Thanks!
2-cobra-seat.jpg article-2237508-162E268A000005DC-440_634x422.jpg

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up some of the GSS "Cobra" MRAP front bucket seats with the integral harnesses to put in my M931. I would like to retain 3-across seating capability, as well as add air-ride to at least the driver and right pass seat. I am pulling the battery box and relocating batteries outside the cab. Obviously for the driver seat the process is pretty straightforward: pull old seat & base, bolt the MRAP seat to air-ride base and mount the assembly back in truck. On the pass side I was thinking it would be better if BOTH passenger seats shared a common base so they move together. Does that seem reasonable or am I nuts for considering it? Are there special bases for dual seats?

Alternatively, I also have some of the "Shock-Ride" flip-up MRAP crew seats. These also have intgrated 5-point harnesses and are intended to mount to a vertical surface. I could air-ride mount the outer buckets, then mount one of these "jump-seats" in the middle. The downside is a rough ride for the middle passenger, plus no recline... the upside would be extra room in the middle with 2 people in the cab for a console/fridge/etc. and theoretically easier time mounting in the truck.

Interested in hearing feedback and alternative solutions. Thanks!
View attachment 832043 View attachment 832044
I'm looking to replace the stock seats in my M939, how did the MRAP seat configuration work out for you? I also, would like to keep the 3 up configuration but with the winch controls where they are - there really isnt knee room for a third person any way so thinking might just go with two bucket seats.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut down the stock battery box and seat to use it as the middle seat. Still had plenty of room for two group 31 batteries within and room for an MRAP seat on the passenger side. Middle seat back still folds like stock.

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut down the stock battery box and seat to use it as the middle seat. Still had plenty of room for two group 31 batteries within and room for an MRAP seat on the passenger side. Middle seat back still folds like stock.
Yeh I like the thought of that, biggest thing for me is just finding the time to get in the there and tear it apart LOL

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeh I like the thought of that, biggest thing for me is just finding the time to get in the there and tear it apart LOL
You mean your truck doesn't fix itself - while you could be sleeping!?
Sadly, that seems to be my problem too.

The second shift crew in my driveway seems to need to attend some sort of motivational seminar :cool:

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mean your truck doesn't fix itself - while you could be sleeping!?
Sadly, that seems to be my problem too.

The second shift crew in my driveway seems to need to attend some sort of motivational seminar :cool:
I actually fell out of love with living the hashtag 5 ton life a few months ago and put her up for sale. But I did price her high enough so she wouldn't sell LOL. Now we've rekindled the spark and I want to do so much but only have time and $$$ for so little.

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would you be able to share some pictures sir? thanks

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I actually fell out of love with living the hashtag 5 ton life a few months ago and put her up for sale. But I did price her high enough so she wouldn't sell LOL. Now we've rekindled the spark and I want to do so much but only have time and $$$ for so little.
Not an especially bad plan. Price it up, keep it and smile. Prices on these things aren't going down, so keeping what you have isn't a bad deal unless you want to trade for something else. I keep looking at a HEMTT but 50k makes me make funny sounds...

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not an especially bad plan. Price it up, keep it and smile. Prices on these things aren't going down, so keeping what you have isn't a bad deal unless you want to trade for something else. I keep looking at a HEMTT but 50k makes me make funny sounds...
sounds like we are in the same boat, I look at the HEMMTs online all the time and at the auctions but dayum thats some chedda to get in that game

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks