• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air tank purge valves???

Deuce_of_Spades

Ok guys,

I've tried the search function but have had zero luck! But then again I really don't know what I'm searching for. I remembered a time way back, when my dad sent me over to his air compressor and had me pull a valve on the bottom of it to let the air out and the water that was in there too. All I had to do was pull on the valve and it popped out with a loud hiss and a a bunch of water. Once done it popped itself back in and it was ready to go again.

So I now think that would be a saving grace on my new deuce. Two little pop out valves with strings attached and running out to the side of the deuce. I could park her for the night and pull the two strings and vent the air and water out daily like I'm supposed to.

Problem is, I am not to smart when it comes to mechanics. I've had little to no exposer to these things growing up and can barely change my own oil. I do want to rectify this short comming though! :oops:

What is such a valve called that is spring loaded and pops in and out? Where can I find them? And would that be a feasable solution for my water draining blues. Can I put an elbow on the tanks and then attach such a valve and just point them in the right direction? I know most of you have been around the DEUCE block many times and this has probably been done but I cant seem to search with the right words! Any help would be great!!! Thanks guys.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
There's actually a military MWO (Modification Work Order) to add cable-pull drain valves to the deuce. They're not quite the same as the pop-off valves commonly found on air compressors, but they do let you drain the tanks without crawling underneath the truck to turn valves. The kits show up from time to time on eBay or at various surplus sellers. I just did a quick eBay search, and I think that this listing is an example of the proper kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120296033026

nf6x

Feral Engineer
By the way: With the valves used in the military kit, the cables pull on the levers at a right angle to the valve body. They're a different kind of valve than the pop-off valves that you described, which are very commonly used as over-pressure safety valves on air compressors. I've also found cable-pull drain valves at McMaster-Carr (an industrial supply company), but they're not nearly as studly as the big valves used in the military kit. ;)

54reo

AaronW said:
My Deuce came with this nifty mechanical dump ball valve. Is this not a standard part?(I know the bolt handle was not, just thought it replaced the OD part)
Other than the "bolt handle" it appears to be the same as the original ones on all of my deuces. The valve on the other tank looks to be the type more commonly used to drain a cooling system.

AaronW

54reo said:
AaronW said:
My Deuce came with this nifty mechanical dump ball valve. Is this not a standard part?(I know the bolt handle was not, just thought it replaced the OD part)
Other than the "bolt handle" it appears to be the same as the original ones on all of my deuces. The valve on the other tank looks to be the type more commonly used to drain a cooling system.

Thanks for the info 54.

Rebelpride

For under $20 I rigged up a drain system. It consisted of (2) 1/4" brass street elbow, (1) 1/4" brass tee(female pipe both ends and male pipe in the middle), (4) 1/4" male pipe - 1/4"hose barb fittings, (1) 1/4" pipe coupler welded into a 90^ bracket, (1) 1/4" close pipe nipple, (1) 1/4" brass ball valve, and about 3ft of 1/4" push lock hose. Bolted the bracket to an existing hole in the mudflap bracket. Now when I shut the truck down I open the valve and empty the tanks completely w/o having to hold onto any cable.

kurtkds

Here's what I did with my drain valves.

I got the parts from McMaster-Carr
Part #49375K15 for $5.38 Each.

Their Description.
DRAIN-THRU-HANDLE STOP COCK, CABLE PULL, INTERNAL SEAL, 1/4" NPT MALE

It was a pretty quick swap out and I trimmed and attached the end of the wire rope the the framework of the Pioneer Rack.

Attachments

Mackfire68

Cable Operated Drain Valve. GRAINGER part # 6D913
I was going to get one for my trailer but I like the 1/4 turn valves better. The cable hand drains should only be used if the truck is driven daily. If your like most people and only use your truck on special occasions, use the 1/4 turn or screw open drains and let them open when the truck is parked. This will let the tanks drain and dry completely. Just remember to close them after you start your truck. This is probably why the military did't use the quick cable drains.

Cable Operated Pneumatic Drain Valve, MNPT Size 1/4 Inch, Hex Size 9/16 Inch, Cable Length 5 Feet, Height 1.06 Inches, With Cable Grainger Item # 6D913
Price (ea.) $5.72
Brand CDI CONTROL DEVICES
Mfr. Model # DP25-100
Ship Qty. 1
Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
Ship Weight (lbs.) 0.07
Usually Ships** Today
Catalog Page No. 1187

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
almost all otr trucks have them, all the trucks that my co. have ,has then, there never seem to be a problem

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
here is what some enterprising mechanic did on my ex USAF M35A2C.. They used a piece of angle iron, welded it to the frame, and mounted the valves on it. I thought it mightt of been a factory thing, as the job was so well done.. DOT plastic air line ran from the bottom of the tanks to those valves.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks