• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce - M35 Front End Alignment.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im going to be installing new tie rods soon. Just have 2 questions. 1. What ball joint press works best with that huge size, or are y'all just going to say use a pickle fork?

2. How much and where do y'all suggest to get an alignment done?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Barrman

I used a pickle fork and BFH to get mine apart.

The alignment is super easy. 9.00 tires the front should be 1/8” closer together than the rear. 11.00 tires they are supposed to be 1/4” toe in. The -20 list it out.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, im using 11.00-20s im not sure how to do an accurate alignment at home. I've read a lot of posts and seen a few ideas but im not sure if I understand how to implement them.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I like using pvc pipe, take a stick of 1/2 schedule 40 and slip it into 3/4 thin wall “drain grade” pvc, cut both so they’ll fit between the tires, 3/4 a little shorter, use a sharpie to mark the pipe distance between front of tires, then do it in the rear, measure the distance between both marks and BAM! You have the measurement in “s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barrman

I like that PVC method. Never heard of it before.

NDT tires will hold a regular tape measure on the center rib which makes a single person alignment real easy. Basically, you want to measure the front of the tire from a repeatable location of the tread on both tires. Then do the same at the back of the tire. Same height above the ground front and back too. 21” is of course the ideal height.

162tcat

I use staple method. Put a staple in the front of tread and use a tape measure hooked on one staple measuring to the other. Then roll truck forward and measure again. Adjust as necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... Then roll truck back and measure again.
... No, always move it forward - not back...!

Park truck (going forward only) on a flat & even ground, then scribe a vertical line on the front of each tire, +/- in the center of tread. Measure distance between lines at axle height. Then roll forward another 1-1/2 revs and measure again. (= the rear side now, again at axle height.)

For bias ply tires it should be + 1/8"- +3/16" on the rear side. For radials the difference should be close to zero.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks