• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All 4 Rear Brakes Dragging

Steelreaper80

I was going down the road and thought I smelled brakes. I pulled over to check. All 4 rear brakes are dragging to the point of smoking. Stuck on the side of the road to let them cool. I pushed in the override button but not sure if it is helping. What would cause them to all of a sudden stop dragging. At idle in gear it rolls freely......

I have tools with me. Is it something I can roadside fix? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The valve at the driver's step and fuel tank on the frame has a check valve and a one way that supplies the parking brake and the spring brake tank.

Remove the front line and see if you have air coming out of it. IF No. Remove the large Half inch line and see if you have air there. IF no. Remove both lines at the rear and see if you have air.

You should have air on those rear lines but you need to know if it's the one way check valve or the split valve there that is stuck

No air in spring tank the brake override doesn't work anyway as it gets its air from that spring tank.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you have an air hose for tire stuff. And an air fitting in your tire chuck. Remove the air fitting and swap it into the drain port on that spring brake tank. Then run your air hose from the emergency gladhand and hook it into that tank to charge it with air and get you down the road.

Steelreaper80

The valve at the driver's step and fuel tank on the frame has a check valve and a one way that supplies the parking brake and the spring brake tank.

Remove the front line and see if you have air coming out of it. IF No. Remove the large Half inch line and see if you have air there. IF no. Remove both lines at the rear and see if you have air.

You should have air on those rear lines but you need to know if it's the one way check valve or the split valve there that is stuck

No air in spring tank the brake override doesn't work anyway as it gets its air from that spring tank.

I have air on both lines on drivers side. I also have air from small hose coming out of the bottom tank on passenger side.

Steelreaper80

I followed Wes's video. I had air everywhere. But during the process of checking the lines I got air back to the brakes and they released. Not sure what I did but I will take it!

I wanted to say thank you for the help! Steel Soldiers is an absolute awesome site with great people.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But during the process of checking the lines I got air back to the brakes and they released. Not sure what I did but I will take it!
Without seeing it, just spitballing, it sounds like your check valve got stuck and in the process of disconnecting/reconnecting the lines it released. That would be the first thing I checked.

Good luck!

Steelreaper80

UPDATE

So I serviced the air dryer yesterday. I think I figured out my problem. OMG. The internal filter on my air dryer was in pieces and the entire air dryer was coated in oil and debris. Unfortunately, I did not get photos due to being in grease up to my elbows. Needless to say, I took off the entire unit and thoroughly cleaned it, and put all new service parts on it. Long story short, make sure you guys service your air dryers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks