• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Altenator parts/snapped flange

paulfarber

I has to tighten the alternator belts (would squeal at start up) and the tension bolt snapped the ear. The casting had a flaw (large void) so now the alternator is held in place by half a bolt hole.

I would like to to try and find just the new front casting (I don't have my parts manual on this PC to look at the PN).

Does any place sell just parts? In the mean time I am going to try an epoxy fix.... or maybe install a bolt in front of the ear to keep tension on the belts.

If I need to get a new alternator what is the going price for a good take off? Any ideas?

Barrman

The alternator ear snapped or the mount ear snapped?

Since both can be removed, try pulling them both and taking them to a welding shop. Just be sure and pull the battery cables before you go pulling the alternator. The spark show will be cool but expensive.

paulfarber

Here are pics of what is broke and the alternator. I did not see any data plates.

It looks to be aluminum.. I can only imagine what an hour of TiG work would cost... I see that epoxy putty at NAPA all the time... for $10 I might just try that and drill tap the hole again.

I see new alts listed on e-bay for $600+??!!??

You can see the huge void at 1 oclock just up from the bolt.

Attachments

Last edited:

Barrman

OK, I was thinking one of the bottom ears.

Since that is a threaded hole. Anyway you fix it will be put to the test by tightening the bolt up. Add a large washer, longer bolt and nut to the mix so the crack won't have to hold tension.

If your local welding shops only charge by the hour. Ask one of the guys working there what he would charge to do it on his own after work. TIG is best, but a regular MIG will do it with a spool gun, stick welder with the proper rod and a good old torch will to with the proper filler rod. Find a guy with a welder in the back of his truck and he will probably do it for $20 and a few adult beverages. I forgot about union rules and such up north.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you try to swap out parts, make sure your donor and donee are the exact same model. Uncle Sam used the same NSN for several different 60 Amp Generators from a few different manufacturers. They all are functionally the same, but parts dont swap from one to another.

skinnedknuckles

Mine did the same thing a couple of years ago when I was tightening the belt. I think that as I was tightening the bolt it allowed too much tension on the threaded insert and the ear went flying. I found the piece , took that end of the alternator apart so I wouldn't be dealing with anything getting fried inside. Then TIG welded the ear back on, filling in the hole, redrilled it and used a bolt with washers and a locking nut to hold it on the bracket and called it done. The whole job didn't take an hour to do. If you can't find the piece have a welder build up or use another piece of aluminium to make an ear. It would be alot cheaper than a new one and you would get rid of that threaded insert
Paul in Wisconsin

Emmett

You might want to check the lower mount / bolts. Many times, the lower mount or bolts along with the alt holes get enlongated/ worn allowing the alt to sit at an angle. I have noted this on several alts that had a broken ear.
If the problem is at the lower bracket, you will end up breaking another ear off (ask me how I know this:wink:)
Regards, ET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks