• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative use for glowplug resistor?

FrankenCub

I have some radio equipment going in my M1008 and was wondering if I could use a glowplug resistor to get power for the equipment as a way to bypass adding additional stress on the front battery. At least this way it would be drawing from both and I could run it to a fuse panel just for the radios.
But, with concerns of glowplugs having a cascading failure when one goes, would there be a risk of the radios getting too much voltage for some reason?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To use a resistor to reduce voltage, it must be sized correctly for the load.

No, you can't use it for what you asked.

MarcusOReallyus

Best way to do what you want is to get a 24v to 12v converter.

Or just run it off the front battery. It's not that big a deal unless you are planning to use a serious amplifier.

FrankenCub

Thanks guys. I may look into converters just so I can keep to load spread between the two batteries. I realize that running off the front will also work but at night running lights plus my radios will just keep one alternator working more. I may not see a problem over a few years but I think it's still best to keep an equal load as possible.

Abbylind

Ive run my equipment (two way radios) off the front battery for 16 years. Other than normal battery replacements its worked fine. Finally rebuilt the drivers side alternator this year to get rid of a RF whine, but it was always worked A-OK. YMMV

FrankenCub

Well I suppose I shouldn't worry about it too much, maybe I'm just over thinking the whole bit.
I have a dual band Icom in now, a modded Yaesu and a simple Cobra CB going in, and a laptop that I'm building a mount for. The things you get involved in when a group of similar thinking guys (and gals) get together lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks