• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Amperage Output

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am considering the addition of a few electrical accessories which will run while my truck is running (switch-activated). The amperage draw will be around 6 amps constant.

Question - what is the amperage production of either alternator at idle? Will the 100-amp-hour alternator replenish the 6-amp power constant required by the accessories?

Thanks in advance.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will be OK. These alternators were used on a lot of GM vehicles that had AC, electric windows, in addition to head lights etc. They all operated fine at idle.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will be OK. These alternators were used on a lot of GM vehicles that had AC, electric windows, in addition to head lights etc. They all operated fine at idle.
Thanks for your reply. I would still like to know the maximum amperage constant that each alternator can support. For instance, if I were to run an inverter, smal refrigerator, and headlights all at at the same time. Just need to calculate the amperage draw to make sure the alternators can maintain the batteries.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the truck is all 12 volts except for the starter, the driver's side alternator powers the vehicle if you have the stock electrical system. The passenger side alternator only charges the second battery used for the starter, so it doesn't really add to the system capacity unless you are planning to run your accessories on 24 volts.

The driver's side alternator can probably safely supply 30 to 40 amps at idle. I'm sure it will do more, but you will run into heat problems at idle. If you want to run an isolated circuit from the second start battery, you can use that extra capacity. However, nothing on that circuit can be grounded to the vehicle. Safer to go the 24 volt route if you need more output.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the truck is all 12 volts except for the starter, the driver's side alternator powers the vehicle if you have the stock electrical system. The passenger side alternator only charges the second battery used for the starter, so it doesn't really add to the system capacity unless you are planning to run your accessories on 24 volts.

The driver's side alternator can probably safely supply 30 to 40 amps at idle. I'm sure it will do more, but you will run into heat problems at idle. If you want to run an isolated circuit from the second start battery, you can use that extra capacity. However, nothing on that circuit can be grounded to the vehicle. Safer to go the 24 volt route if you need more output.
Thanks for your reply. The accessory pulls 6 amps constant at 24 volts. I will pull the power from the 24V buss and ground through a relay and fuse. For now, I want to keep the identity of the accessory secret until I make sure my invention will work. If it does, it will revolutionize the entire automotive world similar to the Turbo Encabulator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks