• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alternator problem

rizzo

the pass side alternator is not charging on my M1008. So we took it off and bench tested it and it worked fine. Put it back on the truck and it did not work. Checked the exciter wire and it was fine. any ideas?

both alternators were rebuilt a couple years ago. I havnt had any problems with them.

rizzo

sounds like the alt is good. i would start chasing wires and looking for bad connections and possible blown fuse links.
We put a voltage meter on the bat. Only 12.3v not charging.. the mechanic said it was not charging at the alternator. And the exciter wire shoows 12 volts.

What else should I be checking?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the Gen2 relay is not engaging or the 24v fuse is bad.

For the passenger Gen2, the exciter wire is 24v.

Power comes from the 24v fuse, thru the Gen2 bulb, thru the Gen2 relay (when the key is on to energize it with 12v), thru the Gen2 Diode and ends up at the #1 plug (brown wire) at the alternator. The #2 plug should have 24v at all times. (red wire)

So in this order, check the:
1. 24v fuse
2. Gen2 bulb and socket (they do get dirty and corroded)
3. Gen2 relay (unplug and clean the terminals)
4. Gen2 Diode
5. The plug at the alternator- 24v at the red wire and 24v at the brown wire with the key on

Right click on thumbnails and choose "open Link in New Window"

Attachments

Last edited:

rizzo

ok, the 24v fuse in the box looks intact.

the fusible link looks and feels intact at the alternator.

the gen 2 bulb does not come on when I turn the ignition on. This must be the problem. are the bulbs 24 volt???

where is the diode and relay on the truck? I am assuming I can check voltage on each side to see if its working??

rizzo

ok, thanks for the help guys. I fixed it. it was what looks like a fusable link that coroded apart at the crimp connector when it was replaced before. I twisted the wires together and now my gen 2 light comes on. i will solder them together when I get home.

thanks again!!

rizzo

I had time this afternoon to do a search and while I was reading through the different threads on the subject I learned the location of the diode near the fire wall. When I went out to the truck to look at it I saw the broken wire. I also learned how to adjust the idle and a few other things.

gwag

Sounds like the Gen2 relay is not engaging or the 24v fuse is bad.

For the passenger Gen2, the exciter wire is 24v.

Power comes from the 24v fuse, thru the Gen2 bulb, thru the Gen2 relay (when the key is on to energize it with 12v), thru the Gen2 Diode and ends up at the #1 plug (brown wire) at the alternator. The #2 plug should have 24v at all times. (red wire)

So in this order, check the:
1. 24v fuse
2. Gen2 bulb and socket (they do get dirty and corroded)
3. Gen2 relay (unplug and clean the terminals)
4. Gen2 Diode
5. The plug at the alternator- 24v at the red wire and 24v at the brown wire with the key on

Right click on thumbnails and choose "open Link in New Window"
This worked for me! Rear battery was not getting charged and gen 2 light was not coming on with the key. The gen 2 bulb & the 24V fuse were bad. My voltmeter has never worked now it does. As usual the knowledge on this board has saved me hours and untold $ not swapping out good parts. Thanks for your post!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad we could be of assistance. I had never been near a CUCV until last October. Now I have 4 in various stages of disrepair. Nothing like learning on the job.

gwag

I got my first one last summer also & have lost count already on how many I've had since, they come & go. I do have one I kept though and I'm writing a thread on all the mods I've done to it now. Watch for it.
Noticed you are a fellow okie I was born & raised out near Woodward and still have family there.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my first one last summer also & have lost count already on how many I've had since, they come & go. I do have one I kept though and I'm writing a thread on all the mods I've done to it now. Watch for it.
Noticed you are a fellow okie I was born & raised out near Woodward and still have family there.
I was born in Sayre, out by Elk City. Raised in OKC.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It aways help full when some knows there equipment LOL thank you.:mrgreen:
The ETM is help full PMCS by Dash 10 standard I still use the DA-2404 forms to keep track Maint.:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks