• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aluminum wheels

MIDDLEMAN

I picked up a set of wheels for my 2001 M1078. The fit is perfect..... I heard they are from a Himars rocket launcher. Oshkosh made the chassis from what I can figure out. Has anybody figured out where to get the o-ring and the cap for the CTIS that looks like a big acorn nut. The wheel and the CTIS valve don't use external hoses. I emailed Oshkosh for part numbers and provided a picture of the wheel on the Himars with description of parts that I am looking for or at least part numbers. Even tried a connection in the motorpool and the TM for the Himars parts wasn't allowed to be opened. Any leads out there?

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I have the same wheels but I’ve been reluctant to put them on because I haven’t found the lug nuts for them and that are studs are too short.
BUT looking closely at the himar pictures online they lug nuts don’t appear to have any of the studs threads sticking out.

MIDDLEMAN

I think I have the same wheels but I’ve been reluctant to put them on because I haven’t found the lug nuts for them and that are studs are too short.
BUT looking closely at the himar pictures online they lug nuts don’t appear to have any of the studs threads sticking out.
I did find the correct lug nuts that are required. If you want the skinny on them PM me. There are some threads about aluminum wheels and them.

Third From Texas

View attachment 828960
found this for sale on flea bay. Has a good picture of the oring. I wonder how the acorn style lug NU seals on the side of the wheel facing us.
That came off GP. I almost tossed a bid up for laughs but didn't want to get stuck with just one.

It sold for $35 on GP, btw.

Bet the flipper selling it marked it up 1000%

LOL

MIDDLEMAN

View attachment 828960
found this for sale on flea bay. Has a good picture of the oring. I wonder how the acorn style lug NU seals on the side of the wheel facing us.
The hole next to the ctis valve has a o-ring groove around it on the back side that seals against the hub. The threaded ctis stem that comes through that holes gets the cap nut that must have another o-ring or some type of seal at it's base. The stem has to have a hole drilled into the side of it to let the air pass from what I can tell.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks middleman,
So after looking more closely at my wheels and trying to find a solution to the acorn nut problem.
Here is what I’ve found. The ID of this hole is 1.580”, the stud is 1 1/8”-16 and if you look closely you can see a shiny circle outlining the hole measuring 2.00” makes me think they used a flange nut with a sealing washer. D56B8370-2C92-4A47-8827-80B9B95E34CC.jpeg
I found these 1 1/8-16 flange nuts that we can modify to create the acorn nut.4774F4C6-258E-48B3-828B-71774AA3D1D3.png
I drew up this full scale illustration showing a couple ways of solving the problem.F61C705D-628B-489A-A7AF-CA9AE20B06AF.jpeg

MIDDLEMAN

Thanks middleman,
So after looking more closely at my wheels and trying to find a solution to the acorn nut problem.
Here is what I’ve found. The ID of this hole is 1.580”, the stud is 1 1/8”-16 and if you look closely you can see a shiny circle outlining the hole measuring 2.00” makes me think they used a flange nut with a sealing washer. View attachment 829047
I found these 1 1/8-16 flange nuts that we can modify to create the acorn nut.View attachment 829048
I drew up this full scale illustration showing a couple ways of solving the problem.View attachment 829049
I think you hit the nail on the head. I worry about the flat seal...I wonder if the military version of the nut has a flange with an o-ring groove? One of my wheels had the back o-ring still in it. I grew up in my dad's machine and Welding shop. My brother runs it now but I still have access and use of the equipment. I wonder if we can hunt down where these wheels get stripped of the surplus equipment being scrapped or demilled? They probably just let the nuts go to scrap or might have a bucket of them. Simp knows someone in Texas that winds up with a lot of the tires and wheels.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree an o ring groove machined int the nut would be better. I did find a copper sealing crush washer that would work at McMaster Carr. But I like the o ring idea better.
BUT...... unless I can find 4 of the wheel CTIS valves I’m dead in the water.
4 broken bolts and the diaphragm seat so pitted it will never seal properly. I’ve been looking everywhere and no luck. Also thought of abandoning the CTIS system and just tap the wheel and put a valve stem on it. What’s crazy is the valve stem sticks out farther than anything else on the wheel make it extremely prone to breaking off which explains why 3 of mine are broken. So now the question is why go through all the trouble when my steel wheels and CTIS work perfectly
4E38027B-39D3-43B8-8DB8-CC5471616245.jpeg
1B62BA65-853A-4721-B585-DD1F99A1F8CC.jpeg
I found this in my searches today, I found it searching HIMARS wheels CTIS.

scabskunk

I might have 4x of your wheel CTIS valves. The 385/85r20s i got came with aluminum wheels but they have the larger hole for the mrap axles. let me find them all and ill post some pics and can take some measurements.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Those Hutchison wheels include a CTIS patent. One can look up the patent.

scabskunk

i was only able to find one of the filter things that goes in the wheel. also a couple missing o-rings. Look like your part?
20210321_170559.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks