• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AM General a Jeep Corp or Kaiser Jeep

wsucougarx

No differences
Manufacturer was the same with the 3 names you listed. Just had different names. Went from Kaiser-Jeep ('60's) to General Products Division(1970-1971) to American General (1971 on).
In the early '60's on down to the '50' there were other manuf as well.
Now as the years progressed with the truck, many updates were introduced including the engine LD->LDT. I have seen a handful of LD engines still kicking around. The transfer case was also updated from the Sprag to the airshift. However, there are many deuces out there with sprag units. Also, in 1987-1988 the split circuit brake system was employed in these later year trucks.

Last edited:

broman78

This isn't a change but the Vehicles with AM General name are a little harder to insure vs vehicles with the kaiser jeep name. The insurance companies must be scared of the OD green.

DanMartin

This isn't a change but the Vehicles with AM General name are a little harder to insure vs vehicles with the kaiser jeep name. The insurance companies must be scared of the OD green.
Calling an AM General a Kaiser is a bit like calling your AMC a Hudson, or your Nissan a Datsun. Same company...but the Insurance company will probably catch on if you try it. Call it what it says on the data plate to avoid confusion later (when you least need 'confusion', like in an insurance claim situation).

phil2968

My 1966 M109 has a AM General Data plate. It is registered and insured for what it is, a 1966 Kaiser Jeep. Data plates can and are switched for who knows what reasons. Get the frame numbers to Carnac for positive I.D., if it's an Army truck.

sandcobra164

AM General's have an expanding metal mesh grille!!! I did not know this until I first showed my truck off to a retired Civil Service man. He knew that it was a 71' or 72' AM General from first glance and he's right, it's a 71'. I had no trouble insuring the truck through GEICO for what that's worth. I only had trouble getting a tag as the State Tag office in Georgia relies on drop down menus and the only thing Georgia recognizes from AM General is the HMMWV. Imagine that, only a few HMMWV's ever legally (military H1's of course) made it into Civilian hands, however there are probably a few thousand Deuce's in Civilian hands at this point. I've also been told that the White motor is the best and the Hercules is the worst which is bad for me since I have the Hercules. Mine runs good and was one of the last ones the Army could legally buy. It was manufactured in Feb of 1990!!!!! I'm speaking of the motor of course.

Last edited:

broman78

Calling an AM General a Kaiser is a bit like calling your AMC a Hudson, or your Nissan a Datsun. Same company...but the Insurance company will probably catch on if you try it. Call it what it says on the data plate to avoid confusion later (when you least need 'confusion', like in an insurance claim situation).
I wasn't implying to register your truck under a different manufacture that what is listed. I was talking about my experience and some others on the board. I know what hoops my insurance agent had to jump threw to get mine insured.

jasonjc

Well it could not have been that close to last ones. I have a 6-'93 or '98 Hercules LDT 465-1D. Looks like a '98 on the date plate but mite be a 93.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AM General's have an expanding metal mesh grille!!!
While the expanded metal was an upgrade that did come about in later years, I've seen them on all the brands. I had a '52 studebaker that had the expanded metal grill (granted, it didn't come from the factory that way).

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people will argue that some brand LDT engines are better than others but they are all made exactly the same. You can interchange parts from one brand to the next.

There are three different turbos. One was ony used on the LDS 427. The other two are used on the LDT 465. One is a "C" which is sometimes called a "whistler" because the whistle. The other is a "D" turbo which gives a little more boost than the "C" but doesn't whistle.

I have a 1971 AM General with a Hercules LDT-465-1D with a data tag on the right side(Passenger) of the engine with a date of Oct 1987 and came from Alaska to Montana in 2001.It was a truck that came from the 172d Support Group at Fort Richardson,Alaska. The SF 97 shows it was at the excess equipment area at Elmendorf Air Force Base near Anchorage.It is an airshift and the engine has around 18,000 miles on it. It runs well and starts at -40 wiith a frost plug heater.When I was in Alaska in 1967 we were just getting the new mulifuels and they were made by Kaiser and were "Whistlers". Iuse to order parts for them when I was stationed there form 1967 to 1969. They are good trucks.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks