• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AM General Suing Activation

Wire Fox

Just came across this... https://www.engadget.com/amp/2017/11/10/humvee-activision-call-of-duty-lawsuit/

The makers of Call of Duty, Activision, is being sued by our benevolent overlord for non-licensed usage of their trademarks and design. Think AM General stands a chance?

I'm betting they lose. Chrysler Jeep failed at the claims for the Hummer grill design, and Colt failed to hold onto their M4. I don't think precedent is on their side.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ignorance.

In the past there were kits you could get to make a regular truck look like a hmmwv, I think they were called bumvees. I wonder if they go to court and say thats what they modeled it after, if that would fly. Does that grill guard look like any that have been in production? could they say its their own design?

Seems pretty thin to me.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ridiculous, Imagine that precedent. Every single wargame would be at the mercy of numerous lawsuits. Battlefield series, They would have all kinds of helicopter companies and APC, Tank manufacturers, plane manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon for some bucks.

ryanruck

Ignorance.

In the past there were kits you could get to make a regular truck look like a hmmwv, I think they were called bumvees. I wonder if they go to court and say thats what they modeled it after, if that would fly. Does that grill guard look like any that have been in production? could they say its their own design?

Seems pretty thin to me.
You're thinking of the Urban Gorilla kits.

Early on they looked like this:

ug1.jpg

Then, this happened.

Now they look like this:

7079694_orig.jpg

I'm wondering when the lawsuit against China/Dongfeng is going to happen...

2KKBtVA.jpg

nattieleather

I'm wondering when the lawsuit against China/Dongfeng is going to happen...

View attachment 707736
China and their car company bought the rights to manufacture the HMMWV in China. So there is no copyright infringement because they already have permission.

As for the video game I think what will happen is the VG Maker will settle out of court and give AMG a little wad of cash to make them shut up and go away.

ryanruck

China and their car company bought the rights to manufacture the HMMWV in China. So there is no copyright infringement because they already have permission.

As for the video game I think what will happen is the VG Maker will settle out of court and give AMG a little wad of cash to make them shut up and go away.
Not exactly...

China ripped off the HMMWV as the "Mengshi" in 2007.

It wasn't until earlier this year that China officially got the Hummer, and they're being produced here.

If you're talking about the 2010 deal for GM to sell "Hummer" to China, that fell through.

dilvoy

The seven vertical grille openings is trademarked by AM General somehow. There was a issue with Chrysler Jeep over that, but it was resolved at some point. I think that because AM General originated as the Military Arm of American Motors Corp, the then owner of Jeep, AM General was allowed to keep the grille shape and also use it in logos and things like that.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have to wonder how far they'll go. I can only assume they'd flip their lids if they knew people were making hardtops and doors and what not for them "in the likeness".

Action

I always wondered if folks that use lasers and such to engrave HUMMER or HMMWV or the image onto small items for sale, ever think of copyright infringement. They should be sending some of their profit to AMG.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks