• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M1008 700r4 Project

Iceman3005

Have another Chevy M1008 project, transmission failed. This is Lawrence of Arabia M1008.
Many reasons that it failed. First it had the wrong dip stick so the trans was about 4-5 quarts to low on fluid. Second the pan gasket had to cuts in it, not sure why. Third it had the wrong "TV" cable or throttle valve cable installed causing improper line pressures in the transmission, even though it has a full line pressure valve body from Summit racing it still needs to have the correct line pressure inputs from the throttle for the shifts.
Fourth they removed the pressures switches inside the trans on the valve body, removed all the wiring from trans, and the torque convertor lock up solenoid wires were also cut.
Fifth they used a cheap torque convertor, it is about half the weight of the torque convertors I buy.
Sixth they bypassed the radiator cooler and were only using the secondary air cooler for the trans fluid, causing it to overheat among the many other things that they did wrong. The fluid smells so bad it made me sick, I have never had fluid smell that bad before.

Attachments

Iceman3005

As you can see in pics, pan gasket cut, not sure why anyone would want to cut it, wires missing, no pressure switches, wires cut on solenoid for torque convertor lock-up, universal TV cables do not work, and the dipstick tube is out of a turbo 400. Also the magnet in the pan was missing, lots of small metal shavings floating around in fluid because the magnet was gone.

Iceman3005

Trans getting disassembled, the previous mechanic used the cheapest clutch material possible, plus they show signs of heat fatigue.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Help me understand. This is LofA's truck that your are fixing for him? Did he have someone install the 700r4 for him previously?

I do not know any of the history of the truck but whoever installed the 700 had no clue on what they where doing.

Last edited:

Iceman3005

Help me understand. This is LofA's truck that your are fixing for him? Did he have someone install the 700r4 for him previously?

I do not know any of the history of the truck but whoever install the 700 had no clue on what they where doing.
Yes this is LofA's truck, he had someone do the rebuild and another shop do the installation, both did not really seam to know what they where doing. The shop that rebuilt the trans for him won't stand behind his work and fix it. He (LofA) is not very happy.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clue us in on that spacer adapter. When using the 700 with a 205 we always sought out the 350/205 adapter and installed a spacer. That one you have looks slightly interesting as a direct 400 to 700 swap.

Iceman3005

Yes this is the 32 spline NP205 from the turbo 400, the output shaft of the 700r4 is swaped for a 32 spline shaft, and the spacer converts the 4 bolt trans to the 6 bolt adapter.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never seen that particular spacer. Is it a commercial piece or a one off creation. Cool stuff.

Lawrence of Arabia

Glad to have finally found someone that, 1. is familiar with and knows what they are doing and 2. takes the time to get to the bottom of the problem/s and make things right vs just stuffing another trans back in the truck and taking more of my money. Thanks again.

MatthewH

I wonder what the reasoning for gutting the wiring and solenoids?
I bought a 2wd diesel version for my M37 project, when the guy was rebuilding it, same thing, all the wiring and lock up stuff had been cut, but left inside

Iceman3005

Glad to have finally found someone that, 1. is familiar with and knows what they are doing and 2. takes the time to get to the bottom of the problem/s and make things right vs just stuffing another trans back in the truck and taking more of my money. Thanks again.

Your welcome Jeff. Sorry it is taking a little longer than I thought, also sorry it might end up costing a little more than we had discussed. This trans will come with a one year unlimited mileage warranty, so if you have any problems I stand behind my work. I hope that by using the full line pressure valve body doesn't cause any issues, but every thing else in that trans will be built to handle 550 HP. I will post pics of the new heavy duty parts when they arrive.

Iceman3005

Starting to get some more parts in, it is taking longer to get parts because of Labor Day. The trans is completely torn down to the bare bones. Cleanest it has ever been since it was new!! The new clutch packs are rated for up too 1000 hp, got a new beast smart sun shell that is rated for up to 1000 hp, the new sun shell is 30 thousands thicker, has a reinforced hub and is upgraded to a steel thrust bearing instead of the wimpy brass bushing. You can see in pics that brass bushing is beat up really bad.

Also installing all new updated seals, the old ones had signs of heat stress. Just got the new torque convertor in, its rated to handle 550 hp, its a 1200 stall with carbon fiber lock-up! All the blades/fins have been heat treated, furnace brazed, and fully welded, with an anti balloon plate welded in!

If you notice in the 2nd picture the reaction support has discoloring on it from the low/reverse clutch packs due to extreme heat, also in the 5th picture the reaction support bearing/bushing surface is scared badly as is the bushing that supports it in the case, this is due to lack of fluid or low fluid causing a failure. This part is bad and is being replaced along with bushing.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks