• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M116 Mule trailer

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Here is a M116 that I had in the back yard and its modification into a mule hauler. As with most all improvised adaptations I have used what I had in the iron pile and what I could buy cheaply. Going with 10-32 volt LED lighting so it can be pulled with my M37 or civy pickup. Will add the correct DOT lighting after the paint job. Have two NOS/NDT tires and new rims to be added yet. Thanks for the tires and rims hndersonj. The deck is a couple of Marston runway mats and the winch is one I made to attach to a regular 2 inch hitch receiver. Ramps are a couple of cheap Harbor Freight units. Had to add a two inch tube to the outside of the frame for the fenders so the mule tires could pass thru ok.

Put the Mule on the trailer today for the first time and see I need to come up with a different location for the winch hook. Probable a canvas strap located in the middle of the front axle. Have some 6 inch scraps of boiler plate 8 foot long and will add them to the sides to sort of keep the wheels from wandering off of the deck. When I wire the lighting I will make a "Y" connection to the towing vehicle with one leg of the "Y" a GI trailer plug and the other a standard 7 blade civy plug. That way all one has to do is just load the Mule and go down the road.

P.S. Still looking for an engine guard so if you have one to spare give me a PM.

IMG_3132.jpgIMG_3133.jpgIMG_3135.jpgIMG_3137.jpgIMG_3140.jpgIMG_3143.jpgIMG_3141.jpgIMG_3139.jpg

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Going with 10-32 volt LED lighting so it can be pulled with my M37 or civy pickup.
We just did this on Dave's M105 camper. He uses it for camping and sometimes pulls it with the Ram dually or the M35. We used the 2-1 adapters (packards) to split the 3 taillight circuits out......... one wire goes to the factory military 12 pin trailer connector and the other goes to a civvy 7 pin connector. Obviously updated the trailer to LED taillights, same as yours.

So now, the 105 can be hooked to any M-series vehicle or any civvy vehicle with a 7 pin and it has lights. And since it's all permanently attached, no chance of losing an adapter.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
We just did this on Dave's M105 camper. He uses it for camping and sometimes pulls it with the Ram dually or the M35. We used the 2-1 adapters (packards) to split the 3 taillight circuits out......... one wire goes to the factory military 12 pin trailer connector and the other goes to a civvy 7 pin connector. Obviously updated the trailer to LED taillights, same as yours.

So now, the 105 can be hooked to any M-series vehicle or any civvy vehicle with a 7 pin and it has lights. And since it's all permanently attached, no chance of losing an adapter.
Yep my logic also Clinto. Hate to have to monkey around when it comes time to hook up to the towing vehicle.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Pretty much done with the trailer. Still need to add the USMC markings and add the wiring harness. Then it is done as far as I am concerned. The new old stock tires and rims were fun to mount as the tires had been stored inside, but one was a 1965 and the other was a 1968 date of MFG..

Those of you that attended the GA rally will note that the mule in the background is an exact copy in every way of Clinto's Mule.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great work!

I know you have to have the mule way forward to keep the trailer from having too much weight on the rear, but watch out for sharp left turns (especially when backing) to keep the truck from hitting the mule foot rack. Have you considered loading the mule backwards?

mulman7

John is selling out his stock of tires and does not plan on stocking more.
Summit Racing through eBay sells a set of 4 for $476.00 with free shipping.
These are Coker Tires same as the Denman Tire except they do not say Denman on the side even thought the pic on eBay shows Denman.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks