• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FL Any experiences with titles for a M35A2 ( obtaining or having one transfered over to your name)

Hey guys I'm back again after some rough times, grandmother passed away a week ago and I've been down in the dumps, on here to clear my mind and anyways, does anyone have any experiences of M35A2 title transfer issues or related? Just out of curiosity cause I'm scouting for one and I've heard horror stories about people trying to obtain a title and insurance for one, but I hear it varies on who you talk to on the phone of the insurance company. In my state( Florida) any motor vehicle needs a title to be registered and insured, is there anyone that's had a good experience with title transfers on M35A2's or any nightmares? Just out of curiosity cause I get nervous at times about what if they don't want to transfer it to my name or insure it cause of this or that. But my father always said if it was tagged and registered by previous owner you can get it registered too. Sorry guys for this question but it gets me nervous cause of the horror stories and nightmares I've heard from people. Thanks guys and look forward to hearing from you. Goodnight
Mike

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Florida you should be good if it already has a title and tags. Take the paperwork in and pay the fees and you walk out. Insurance is a slightly different question, but there are plenty of Florida members that have insurance, so I'll let them speak up on that subject - every state is different on insurance and I'm not in Florida.

Hummer Guy

Hey guys I'm back again after some rough times, grandmother passed away a week ago and I've been down in the dumps, on here to clear my mind and anyways, does anyone have any experiences of M35A2 title transfer issues or related? Just out of curiosity cause I'm scouting for one and I've heard horror stories about people trying to obtain a title and insurance for one, but I hear it varies on who you talk to on the phone of the insurance company. In my state( Florida) any motor vehicle needs a title to be registered and insured, is there anyone that's had a good experience with title transfers on M35A2's or any nightmares? Just out of curiosity cause I get nervous at times about what if they don't want to transfer it to my name or insure it cause of this or that. But my father always said if it was tagged and registered by previous owner you can get it registered too. Sorry guys for this question but it gets me nervous cause of the horror stories and nightmares I've heard from people. Thanks guys and look forward to hearing from you. Goodnight
Mike
I'm in Louisiana and was able to get it transferred over to my name like any other vehicle, just make sure to the transfer person know about the VIN number because the lady couldn't find it on mines and I had to show it on the title (the VIN is shorter than original cars). For insurance I recommend looking into hagerty, they will for sure insure it

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m in Florida, my DEUCE had a tile so registering it want too bad, they just wouldnt let me register it as an antique.

Insurance was a bit of a pain, most insurers want the vehicle store in a locked garage or locked storage yard.

Thanks guys and thanks computerdoc, yeah I've read hagerty requires it to be in a barn or garage for it to be insured(ridiculous). But I've been reading about gulfway insurance and that they're pretty good with insuring Deuce's. And hummer guy, could you tell me more about the vin issue too if you don't mind? Never knew about a vin issue with them sometimes. Thanks for the tips and pointers and looking to hear from yall again.
Mike

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys and thanks computerdoc, yeah I've read hagerty requires it to be in a barn or garage for it to be insured(ridiculous). But I've been reading about gulfway insurance and that they're pretty good with insuring Deuce's. And hummer guy, could you tell me more about the vin issue too if you don't mind? Never knew about a vin issue with them sometimes. Thanks for the tips and pointers and looking to hear from yall again.
Mike
DMV anticipates a 17digit VIN. These typically have a 6digit serial number. Sometimes that gives the DMV workers fits.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks 98, didn't know about them having a 6 digit vin, so what do you say or do about the 6 digit vin at the dmv? Thanks again
I have no experience specific to FL. I do have experience in a dozen other states.

I find that across the board, it is best not to volunteer information when dealing with DMV. Hand them your documents, answer any questions.

The scenario least likely to cause "no" is that you hand them a Florida title. They can't easily claim the vehicle is ineligible to be titled, when FL has already issued a title.

2nd best option - you hand them an out of state title.

Any other documentation in lieu of a title is at best a distant 3rd.

FL isn't one of the hostile places. I don't think you'll have any problems, especially with an M35A2.

Hummer Guy

Mike
Where you have yours stored at? I got a rental parking for mines temporarily and they let me insure it with that. You can try to make another policy and see would you get a different agent, maybe you may get lucky.

I tried to insure a humvee earlier, but that agent wouldn't listen to a thing I said when I told him my location, he immediately told me that I couldn't insure it because its in Louisiana, but then I called back a month later to insure the Deuce and they let me insure it without a problem

Hummer Guy

I have no experience specific to FL. I do have experience in a dozen other states.

I find that across the board, it is best not to volunteer information when dealing with DMV. Hand them your documents, answer any questions.

The scenario least likely to cause "no" is that you hand them a Florida title. They can't easily claim the vehicle is ineligible to be titled, when FL has already issued a title.

2nd best option - you hand them an out of state title.

Any other documentation in lieu of a title is at best a distant 3rd.

FL isn't one of the hostile places. I don't think you'll have any problems, especially with an M35A2.
Yea, that's correct, I did the same thing, I didn't say anything until they ask me about the VIN. They may also ask who's the maker of the vehicle and the weight of it. They couldn't find the vehicle in their system when they were trying to find it. I was told by them that I have to get a new plate every year because it's over the weight of 10,000 pounds

No I currently don't have a deuce yet, saving up for one and scouting around too. But just avoid saying anything about the vin and just hand them the title until/if they ask any questions? Well when I get one I'm gonna have to keep it at a storage lot which I don't mind doing in the meantime. Seems kinda hit and miss with people and Deuce's it seems. Thanks again hummer for the tips.
Mike

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No I currently don't have a deuce yet, saving up for one and scouting around too. But just avoid saying anything about the vin and just hand them the title until/if they ask any questions? Well when I get one I'm gonna have to keep it at a storage lot which I don't mind doing in the meantime. Seems kinda hit and miss with people and Deuce's it seems. Thanks again hummer for the tips.
Mike
Not specific to Florida - but here in North Carolina - the ladies at the DMV in Harrisburg pad the fields with "Zero's" to get 17 characters. Their book on how to use their NCDMV Software tells them to do it that way... That particular location is what they call a "Contract Station" . Meaning they are not government employees and they actually care about this little thing called Customer Service.

Hummer Guy

Mike
Yes, that's correct, don't say anything unless you're asked about it. I currently keep mines at a storage until I get some good size property soon, I didn't expect to get it until I saw a deal on one that I couldn't refuse

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a story on here somewhere about an individual who combined the Army registration number, model number and serial number to get a 17 'digit' number for the serial number, and told them it was a Kaiser-Jeep. They found 'Kaiser' in the system and were presented with a 17 character VIN, so the remaining question was what type was it. Answer "It has a bed with sides and a tailgate, like a really long pickup truck", so it was registered as a 13,500 pound 'pickup truck', with weighted tags of course.

That's pretty interesting, but all this insurance stuff makes me contemplate on getting one cause of the horror stories I've heard and people at dmvs not knowing about them and not wanting to help you out. Sorry guys it's just gets me worried about what if I get one and they won't insure it.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's pretty interesting, but all this insurance stuff makes me contemplate on getting one cause of the horror stories I've heard and people at dmvs not knowing about them and not wanting to help you out. Sorry guys it's just gets me worried about what if I get one and they won't insure it.
"Somebody" will insure it, it just depends on how much will it cost you! Antique auto insurance for occasional use only is much cheaper than commercial rates mainly because of the number of hours per day (and miles driven per year) it will spend on the roads. I have antique auto insurance and I put less than 1000 road miles a year on them (plural - IE all six trucks total). My insurance cost is low because they are not in traffic a lot. YMMV.

Thanks for the positivity SCSG. Yeah I plan on just cruising it and taking it to trails and (hopefully) jobs on occasions. It's just one of those things that are so neat you just got to have and it's a real beast. I'd probably drive it twice a week at most . But so far Ive heard positive things about gulfway here in Florida about them insuring them. Thanks again SCSG.
Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks