• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any guesses on this wiring? M1123...also light issues.

branbell

Hey everyone - I've had my M1123 now for a few weeks and have done the standard stuff...changed oils, adding the additional grounding harness and some other odds and ends. Runs great but am having a hard time identifying these wires hanging to the left of the steering column - I've looked at all the wiring diagrams and am having a hard time with these...they may have been added for something else. I've followed them through the fire wall but haven't traced them to where they are running to yet. Was hoping maybe someone would know right off the bat or have an idea.

20220330_172809.jpg

Also, having some issues with my lights - they will turn on and off randomly while driving. Sometimes they will stay on for 20-30 minutes then turn off and then come back on in a few minutes. Sometimes it's shorter and the time they stay off before coming back on varies. I will be checking all grounds and connections on the lights this weekend. Probably the best place to start unless anyone has some other sound advice?

Thanks for all the help and info in these forums.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey everyone - I've had my M1123 now for a few weeks and have done the standard stuff...changed oils, adding the additional grounding harness and some other odds and ends. Runs great but am having a hard time identifying these wires hanging to the left of the steering column - I've looked at all the wiring diagrams and am having a hard time with these...they may have been added for something else. I've followed them through the fire wall but haven't traced them to where they are running to yet. Was hoping maybe someone would know right off the bat or have an idea.

View attachment 863202

Also, having some issues with my lights - they will turn on and off randomly while driving. Sometimes they will stay on for 20-30 minutes then turn off and then come back on in a few minutes. Sometimes it's shorter and the time they stay off before coming back on varies. I will be checking all grounds and connections on the lights this weekend. Probably the best place to start unless anyone has some other sound advice?

Thanks for all the help and info in these forums.
I agree with @papakb . The wiring from the factory is all one color - and neither of those colors are red or blue. Follow the wire to its source and chances are you can pull it out. MAKE SURE that it doesn't have power on it befor you start pulling and tugging on it.

As far as the lights are concerned, my guess is loose connections. Either on the positive OR the negative wires on your lights. Maybe even in the "buckets" where the lightbulbs live.

Best thing you can do is the most time consuming. One by one, unplug anything (ONE WIRE AT THE TIME) and clean the spade connectors. Use a brass brush. Clean the contacts on everything light related. AND as you put them back use a tiny bit of anti-oxidation paste. That aught to take about a full weekend to do. It is BORING and BRAIN DRAIN work, but with a 20 or more year old truck that has been in the rain or sitting in a lot with the windows down corrosion is your enemy.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's ALL the lights, sounds like the auto-reset circuit breaker inside the 3 lever switch is either doing it's job due to a short somewhere, or it's on it's way to death.

Guyfang

Staff member
If it's ALL the lights, sounds like the auto-reset circuit breaker inside the 3 lever switch is either doing it's job due to a short somewhere, or it's on it's way to death.
One of the few times I helped fix trucks, was just this same fault. It was the 3 way lever.

branbell

I agree with @papakb . The wiring from the factory is all one color - and neither of those colors are red or blue. Follow the wire to its source and chances are you can pull it out. MAKE SURE that it doesn't have power on it befor you start pulling and tugging on it.

As far as the lights are concerned, my guess is loose connections. Either on the positive OR the negative wires on your lights. Maybe even in the "buckets" where the lightbulbs live.

Best thing you can do is the most time consuming. One by one, unplug anything (ONE WIRE AT THE TIME) and clean the spade connectors. Use a brass brush. Clean the contacts on everything light related. AND as you put them back use a tiny bit of anti-oxidation paste. That aught to take about a full weekend to do. It is BORING and BRAIN DRAIN work, but with a 20 or more year old truck that has been in the rain or sitting in a lot with the windows down corrosion is your enemy.
I was on the same page as you guys after seeing the different colors.

I'm going to hopefully tackle the light job this weekend. Thanks for the info and advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks