• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any ideas on getting the 1 3/16th nuts off body bushing bolt

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've tried every thing i know of to break them loose soaked em in pb blast then a 1/2 ingersol the a 3/4 ingersol gun then propane tourch then 3/4 ratchet and 5 ft cheater pipe and pull so hard i know that ratchet head is going to explode and didnt move one bit the only thing left i can think of is a 4 to 1 multiplier ratchet head we used to use em to get track bolts off big cat eqipment but i havnt seen one in years so if you have another idea BLAST AWAY !!!

coachgeo

I've tried every thing i know of to break them loose soaked em in pb blast then a 1/2 ingersol the a 3/4 ingersol gun then propane tourch then 3/4 ratchet and 5 ft cheater pipe and pull so hard i know that ratchet head is going to explode and didnt move one bit the only thing left i can think of is a 4 to 1 multiplier ratchet head we used to use em to get track bolts off big cat eqipment but i havnt seen one in years so if you have another idea BLAST AWAY !!!
propane may not heat it enough.. heard that more than once. Try Map heat if you do not have access to full size torch.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
propane may not heat it enough.. heard that more than once. Try Map heat if you do not have access to full size torch.
I had the same thought about the heat but on the passenger side the bottom bushing was driping out from behind the big washer and i was real careful to aim right on the nut and not the bolt , Im really surprised i dint break the bolt when i had the cheater pipe on it ive never seen one so siezed

Last edited:

ramdough

No its the bolt that holds the round body bushings in front of the cab
Had to use a 40” 3/4 breaker bar to do that once. It helped to remove the bumper and had the wing that holds the headlight off. That was on my winch swap, so taking all that off was part of the gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had to use a 40” 3/4 breaker bar to do that once. It helped to remove the bumper and had the wing that holds the headlight off. That was on my winch swap, so taking all that off was part of the gig.

I was trying not to drop the bumper but it might have to happen i was sliding my 3/4 extensions thru the right hole of the 2 round holes on the passenger side above the big square hole . Superman gave me an idea im goin to try this morning put my 1 inch impact on it but ive got to reduce back to 3/4 to get thru the hole if the gun doesnt snap the 1 to 3/4 reduceron the extension .The drivers side will just be gorilla warfare lay there and hold the 1 in gun up in that nest of lines

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you just cut the nut off with a Dremel with an abrasive wheel? Or get a nut splitter on it?
A friend mentioned that yesterday ! I could get a dremel in the pass side but definatly have to drop bumper to access drivers side and none of my nut splitters are not big enough to get around 1 3/16th

ramdough

A friend mentioned that yesterday ! I could get a dremel in the pass side but definatly have to drop bumper to access drivers side and none of my nut splitters are not big enough to get around 1 3/16th
Please do a posting on how you do the drivers side swap.

My drivers side bushing is missing. I am waiting on [mention]Awesomeness [/mention] to make new ones before I tackle that one. My passenger side has one that I stuck in there from a parts truck, but it looks burnt up and splitting. Gonna have to do that swap again once I get the new bushings.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do a posting on how you do the drivers side swap.

My drivers side bushing is missing. I am waiting on [mention]Awesomeness [/mention] to make new ones before I tackle that one. My passenger side has one that I stuck in there from a parts truck, but it looks burnt up and splitting. Gonna have to do that swap again once I get the new bushings.

I will I got side tracked on the bushing yday . My top bushings look almost brand new but bottom bushing shot and i wonder how important the bottom bushing is? It would seem the weight of the cab is riding on the top bushings but why would the bottom bushing take such a beating? Maybe ive got it backwards in my mind anyway hopefully will get back on it this weekend im going to put a 1 inch impact on it and if that doesnt bust it loose its getting put on back burner for a minute.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 1 inch impact will almost certainly do it, but make sure you have adequate air supply for the 1 inch impact. If that doesn't work use a nut splitter or cut it off with a Dremel.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like a 3" cutoff wheel in an air driver, same setup as a Dremel cutoff wheel but a lot faster if it fits. Can you make a cut most of the way through like in this picture? It mechanically relaxes the nut and delivers penetrant to all the threads.

I like to use cheap tools (HF) to make special/single use tools. You could make a super strong breaker bar by welding a 3/4 extension to a long piece of substantial flat bar.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 1 inch impact will almost certainly do it, but make sure you have adequate air supply for the 1 inch impact. If that doesn't work use a nut splitter or cut it off with a Dremel.
Im leaning toward cutting them off i tried again with 3/4 impact i dont have the 1in to 3/4 step down to go from the 1 in gun back to 3/4 to get thru the 1 in hole in the bumper im useing to steady everything when i pull the trigger ! On another subject i spent all day yday installing 24x24x30 side box on each side of the 1083 make saddles out of 3x1 1/2 heavy channel get em bolted to frame mount the boxes top and bottom . The point im getting to is if anybodys wanting to mount side boxes on their truck or whatever go to amazon and in the pull down box at the left of the search bar go down to amazon warehouse i got both my boxs just under 1/2 price saved over $500 on the 2 boxes on black powder coated aluminum boxes BUYERS brand and they got tons more sises but these 24x24x30 were made for it seems to fit the 1083 spaces on the frame on the drivers side drop the exaust hanger and just loosen the stainless nut on the band clamp at the muffler it will turn counter clockwise to move the exaust pipe right up near the frame in behind the mudflap.On the box u just cut 10in by 10in out of left back corner of your new box leaving the entire top and bottom uncut the box will slide right over and below the air dryer then take the corner you cut out put it back in the box to cover the air dryer with some 1x1in L brackets and screw the corner wall back in and silicone the seems and your back watertight .The passenger side nothing to move but mudflap put the box in put mudflap back same spot .

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use FreeAll. Spray the threaded area, wait a couple of minutes, then take the nut off. Mechanic told me about this stuff a few years back. Unbelievable..... Once you use FreeAll you will throw your PB Blaster away.
I was out of my go to kano kroil inthe orange cans to have to use the pb was all i had .I havent herd of the Freeall where do you get that at?

CommoChief

I was out of my go to kano kroil inthe orange cans to have to use the pb was all i had .I havent herd of the Freeall where do you get that at?
Most auto part stores do not carry it but high end big rig mechanics use it. The last time I stocked up was when I saw it on AMA - - - so I ordered several
cans. If you have trouble finding it PM me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks