• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any more A1 5-tons (Mack Diesel engine) out there?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, I wish! Love to have one. Make mine an M543A1. Honestly, I'd much rather have the Mack than the NHC250 Cummins.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know you have that beautiful M54A1 Dennis. For those not in the know, the M39 series of 5 tons ending in -A1 have the awesome Mack ENDT673 engines in them. Slightly narrower powerand than the 250 Cummins but man are they a workhorse and if you keep them in their powerband, they outpower the Cummins hands down. (My opinion, you're mileage may vary).

rmgill

I looked at buying one of those when I was searching for my 5 Ton. I settled on the M809 series first and then the Mack's second because of the trickiness of working on Macks. Our Generator repairman here at CNN (he has a side job running his own fleet of trucks and repairing over the road rigs that call for help) like's Macks but said they could be very difficult to work on some times. As he said, he'd been bit by the Bulldog more than a few times. He rated the Cummins as more reliable first, then the Mack, then the LDS(?) in the A2 5 Tons.

Desert Rat

I sold a Mack 5 ton to a coal mining company a few years back. The going rate then was $10K and they didn't flinch in the least. I drove it from Oshkosh to their coal pit. It was a most enjoyable ride! Top speed was 50 mph but it was a sweet truck to drive.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So far I have put over 30K on the old girl (M54A1C) in 13 years with no engine maintenance other than a water outlet leak. Oil chnges, of course...

dg

AMGeneral

5 tons with Mack engine

I have a 1973 Kaiser/Jeep M52A1 with the Mack engine that I've been trying to sell for quite a while,so far no takers.The cab and doors are rusty but the engine,driveline and the fire wall foward is sound,Anyone interested?

vtdeucedriver

Yeah, where you at.............Would much rather have a A1 than my A2. My A2 will represent a unit in Vietnam that mostly had A1's. Talking with a few of the drivers and the XO of the unit in 66. He would watch his drivers climb the pass at An Khe on QL19. They would come up on the slower A2's of other units. The mack drivers would be within their power band as mentioned and would not want to leave it.........so the mack driver would give the friendly bump, followed by the push up the hill. Though frowned upon by some convoy commanders........also sometimes warranting a ticket from the "MP units". It was still considered a normal practice..

You got any pics and price info..........contact
vtdeucedriver@yahoo.com

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm interested in the truck if it is at all "out West".

And for Ryan; The Mack ENDT-673 is a simpler than the multifuel, just a lot bigger. No trickiness to it at all. Keep in mind it was a late 50's design, nothing electronic or complex.

Can you go back and redo the deal?

Didn't think so.

Sorry.

dg

AMGeneral

A1 5-ton(Mack engine)

The truck is located in Morganton,NC(45 min east of Asheville)just off I-40.The price is $7000 negotiable,it is a hard top truck,has 973 hrs and approx 26,500 miles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks